Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPSL Credit Line Reporting 2015

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NPSL Credit Line Reporting 2015

I have been building my credit score over the past 2-3 years and have reached a 756 FICO score. I am now in position to get a couple of cashback rewards cards to take advantage of my normal spending. I have done an immense amount of research and I have discovered the issue of NPSL cards not reporting a credit limit, but instead reporting your highest balance. Given that I have been conditioned to control my utilization percentage every month, I like the control I have over my own credit scores. I simply will never carry anything higher than 10% utilization to statement. NPSL cards that only report high balance completely take that control away and make you look like a high risk to lenders. I have put too much effort into my credit score to risk allowing this kind of reporting method to drop my scores. Through my research, I have been unable to find any information about what cards and companies report credit limits vs. high balance.

As far as reward cards that suit my needs: I want to have (1 everyday rewards card) and (1 revolving categories card). The cards that seem to fit my personal needs are the Capital One Quicksilver Signature Visa, Chase Freedom MC, Discover It, and possibly the Amazon Rewards Visa.

I haven't found a clear source for credit limit reporting information, but so far I think I have this:

American express - Reports Open

Citi - Reports Credit Limit

Capital One - Reports High Balance

Visa Signature - Reports High Balance

World Mastercard - Reports High Balance

Chase - Reports Credit Limit (which conflicts with my info about World Mastercard if your CL is above $5000)

Discover - Reports Credit Limit

If anyone knows any information about this or could create a known list it would be immensely helpful. If any of the information I have listed is incorrect please let me know. I know that information from a few years ago may not apply now, which is why I am trying to find current information to make my decision. (June 2015)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NPSL Credit Line Reporting 2015

I can tell you that Siggys & Worlds now report the CL. They typically report to the bureau as Flexible Spending Account since they let you exceed the hard limit, Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is how I think of it:

Unless you are planning to app something in the next month, it just doesn't matter. Utilization has no "memory". If somehow the charge card messed up your utilization this month, whatever effect will be gone next month. So in a "normal" month when I am just sitting here gardening from a credit perspective I don't care at all about my utilization, I put charges on whatever card gets the most rewards and I pay in full and I don't even think about it. 

Now if I were going to app something in the next month, I would think about it. You can either pay ahead of statement cut, or you can switch spending to a different card that month. Whatever it takes to fine tune utilization ahead of an app.

But like I said, in most months I just don't care.

Message 3 of 9
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

I am pretty sure that BoA was the last hold out of the major bank issuers to start

reporting a credit limit on their Visa Signature cards. That happened a couple years

ago by my memory. Signature and World still have a NPSL feature, but it is separate

from the stated credit limit, changes without notice based on your current report and

isn't reported to the bureaus.

I think your information about Visa Signature and Mastercard World cards is out of date.

There may be a few obscure cards that still report high balance in place of credit limit,

but they are few.

Amex charge cards are a different beast. I don't have one so I don't know how they report.

Amex has a "Check Spending Ability" button that allows you to put in prospective spending

amounts to see if they will clear. According to the button, I can charge between 1.5 to 2 times

my stated credit limit, depending on how the computer feels about me on that particular day.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You say they both report CL now. Do you know if that is true of CapitalOne Signature, like Quicksilver? I've heard people say that CapitalOne still doesn't report. Or does Visa trump CapitalOne as far as reporting?

Message 5 of 9
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You say they both report CL now. Do you know if that is true of CapitalOne Signature, like Quicksilver? I've heard people say that CapitalOne still doesn't report. Or does Visa trump CapitalOne as far as reporting?

The card issuing bank does the reporting. Visa and Mastercard don't have anything to do with

monthly account reporting.

I believe that all the major banks now report a CL on revolvers, but I don't know that for an

absolute fact for all of them. I don't have a Cap1 or Citi card. I can state that Barclays has a

CL reported on WMC, Chase on Visa siggy, Amex on revolvers, USAA on Visa Siggy and BoA on

Visa siggy. BoA was a long time holdout for reporting NPSL, but that changed from pressure

from cardholders at least a couple years ago.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

the "high balance" reporting doesnt even calculate into your utilization. My amex platinum was at 5500 two months ago and 8000 last month when the statement cut. I PIF each time and went about my business.

When its updated to my CR, it shows the high balances, but it doesn't get worked into my utilization at all.

If anything the high balance is a good thing because it shows how much you actually can run through your card in a month.]]

Every other revolver or store card I have reports CL and statement balance. Except for US Bank, they report whatever my balance is the 2nd of each month, instead of my statement balance. So frustrating.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Visa Signature and Mastercard World not reporting the credit line is old news. They all do, and have for a while now.

And, you should add the Sallie Mae to your list. It has 5% cash back on groceries and gas.

Message 8 of 9
nmac
Regular Contributor

Welcome to myfico! My capital one venture visa signature card reports it's limit. I believe all visa sig / world master cards now report limits. 

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.