Re: NUFCU Credit Card - App or no app?

App

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

[ Edited ]

Credit314 wrote:

App

@credit314... the OP in this case has already applied and has been approved for the card. To edit a post feel free to click the arrow at the top right of the box and choose edit reply. Constructive; detailed comments are always welcome :smileyvery-happy:

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
bs6054

mum4519 wrote:

I have a difficult question that I can not figure out for all of you:

I decided to apply for this CC at my credit union and got approved for $3,000. 

At the same credit union I have a loan at 10.8% with a payoff of $2,380.

If you saw my before post, the cash advance interest rate is 6.65%, same as purchases as well as balance transfers, with absolutely no fee for doing so.

Would it be beneficial for me to take a cash advance of $2,380 off of the card in order to pay off this loan?

I know cash advances accrue interest daily but I am having the hardest time trying to figure out the amortization schedule on what is more beneficial as to where I would pay less interest? Continuing the loan for $2,380 @ 10.8% with monthly payments being $211 and maturing on 10/21/2013...or taking a cash advance (with no cash advance fee) of $2,380 @ 6.65% and continuing to pay monthly payments of $211.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS - I talked to my loan officer at the credit union and she said that is a very good question but she could not amortize it as well so did not have an answer for me.

Well, in general a lower interest rate always wins.  If you play around with a calculator, such as that on bankrate.com, that implies that you can pay off $2380 in 11 months, at a 10.8% rate, paying around $145 in interest, with a monthly payment of $210+some cents, roughly your 211.  Doing the same at 6.6%, you could actually pay $205, pay off in 11 months, and end up paying about $85 in interest.  If you keep paying the same, the savings will be more.  So, if the balance transfer really is free, this is worth doing, even if a daily vs monthly amortization difference exists, the savings are sufficiently large to cover that.

Contributor
mum4519

For some reason, which I still need to disprove myself, I figured a cash advance accruing interest daily would end up being more over the course of the next 11 months then a payment with a grace period on interest. Eleven months of daily interest scares me but all in all if I can figure out how to do the math, may end up saving me!

And yes, the cash advance is completely free up to the credit limit and same APR (6.65%) as if I were to make a purchase. By far the best "credit card" I have, only minus a rewards program.
- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Wells Fargo Rewards $9,200
Chase Southwest VISA $5,200
Valued Contributor
bs6054

mum4519 wrote:
For some reason, which I still need to disprove myself, I figured a cash advance accruing interest daily would end up being more over the course of the next 11 months then a payment with a grace period on interest. Eleven months of daily interest scares me but all in all if I can figure out how to do the math, may end up saving me!

And yes, the cash advance is completely free up to the credit limit and same APR (6.65%) as if I were to make a purchase. By far the best "credit card" I have, only minus a rewards program.

Well, compound interest goes as something like (1+rate/n)^n where n is the the number of times compounded.  Doing a quick check, if you made no payments,

2300 (couldn't recall the actual balance) at 6.6% compounded daily would be $2456.91 after one year.  If it were compounded monthly, it would be 2,456.48, so the compounding makes very little difference.

In contrast, 2300 at 10.8%, compounded monthly becomes $2561.07

So a big savings.  Paying it down reduces the difference of course, but it is still there.   Now you would have to do more precise calculations if the choice was say 6.6% compounded daily and 6.7 monthly, but 6.6 to 10.8 is a huge difference, and the naive view, go with the lower rate, works fine here.

Contributor
mum4519

JUST what I was looking for! Thanks again!

- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Wells Fargo Rewards $9,200
Chase Southwest VISA $5,200

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}