Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Contributor

NUFCU Credit Card - App or no app?

This is University of Nebraska Federal Credit Union. I am an alum of UNL and currently have a personal loan through them that will be paid off next October.

I was speaking to my loan officer today, and she told me about their credit card they have. There are no rewards on the card so when she said that I wasn't intrigued, but she told me other info about it...

6.65% on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances

No annual fee

No fee for doing a balance transfer or cash advance

So it got me thinking if I should apply or not. I pay my balances in full so interest isn't a big deal, but in case I ever have to finance something large, 6.65% would BY FAR be my lowest APR.

The terms on the card are very appealing to me although there are no rewards. I probably would not use it for my every day card but it would be nice to have.

What do you say...should I app or not?!

- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Wells Fargo Rewards $9,200
Chase Southwest VISA $5,200
Valued Contributor

Re: NUFCU Credit Card - App or no app?

It could serve well as an emergency use card.  I dont tend to carry a balance but if you had to then the low APR would be more important than the rewards.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor

Duncanrr wrote:

It could serve well as an emergency use card.  I dont tend to carry a balance but if you had to then the low APR would be more important than the rewards.

+1 since i have a navy federal account I was able to get a house at a great price (cash only deal) I was short 15k and under 6% interest rates and no penalty for convience  checks so it worked out perfectly so go for it it helps a lot in emergencies.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
New Contributor

mum4519 wrote:

This is University of Nebraska Federal Credit Union. I am an alum of UNL and currently have a personal loan through them that will be paid off next October.

I was speaking to my loan officer today, and she told me about their credit card they have. There are no rewards on the card so when she said that I wasn't intrigued, but she told me other info about it...

6.65% on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances

No annual fee

No fee for doing a balance transfer or cash advance

So it got me thinking if I should apply or not. I pay my balances in full so interest isn't a big deal, but in case I ever have to finance something large, 6.65% would BY FAR be my lowest APR.

The terms on the card are very appealing to me although there are no rewards. I probably would not use it for my every day card but it would be nice to have.

What do you say...should I app or not?!

Among the best values on the market today. It offers everything you could ask of a "Credit Card"; very low APR for purchases And cash advances without any transaction fees. Hope the purchase and cash advance dollar amounts are equal.

Moderator Emeritus

Agree...  this would be a good card to have....  CUs are also less likely to CLD your account for non-activity

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Contributor

Yea...she said that they would never close it for non-activity. The interest rate just blows away everything I have so that is my main interest in it.

- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Contributor

I have a difficult question that I can not figure out for all of you:

I decided to apply for this CC at my credit union and got approved for $3,000. 

At the same credit union I have a loan at 10.8% with a payoff of $2,380.

If you saw my before post, the cash advance interest rate is 6.65%, same as purchases as well as balance transfers, with absolutely no fee for doing so.

Would it be beneficial for me to take a cash advance of $2,380 off of the card in order to pay off this loan?

I know cash advances accrue interest daily but I am having the hardest time trying to figure out the amortization schedule on what is more beneficial as to where I would pay less interest? Continuing the loan for $2,380 @ 10.8% with monthly payments being $211 and maturing on 10/21/2013...or taking a cash advance (with no cash advance fee) of $2,380 @ 6.65% and continuing to pay monthly payments of $211.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS - I talked to my loan officer at the credit union and she said that is a very good question but she could not amortize it as well so did not have an answer for me.

- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Moderator Emeritus

mum4519 wrote:

I have a difficult question that I can not figure out for all of you:

I decided to apply for this CC at my credit union and got approved for $3,000. 

At the same credit union I have a loan at 10.8% with a payoff of $2,380.

If you saw my before post, the cash advance interest rate is 6.65%, same as purchases as well as balance transfers, with absolutely no fee for doing so.

Would it be beneficial for me to take a cash advance of $2,380 off of the card in order to pay off this loan?

I know cash advances accrue interest daily but I am having the hardest time trying to figure out the amortization schedule on what is more beneficial as to where I would pay less interest? Continuing the loan for $2,380 @ 10.8% with monthly payments being $211 and maturing on 10/21/2013...or taking a cash advance (with no cash advance fee) of $2,380 @ 6.65% and continuing to pay monthly payments of $211.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS - I talked to my loan officer at the credit union and she said that is a very good question but she could not amortize it as well so did not have an answer for me.

I would do the cash advance today and pay off the loan...   then, instead of paying $211... increase your payments to make the term shorter!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Contributor

Increasing my payment is not a problem. 

I'm just curious as if I were to keep my payment the same, at $211, would I be saving money on interest over the next 10-11 months by doing the cash advance?

Thanks again everyone, you have all been very informative!

Oh, on a side note, she said my Experican FICO was a 687...where last October it was a 582! Thanks all!

- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Valued Contributor

Man, that's a great APR to have, if you needed to carry a bal

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+ scores across the board
Get those baddies removed!!!

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.