Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVFCU Approval but I want a higher CL

tag
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

NVFCU Approval but I want a higher CL

I currently have 3 cap one cards ($500 each) and I'd like to get rid one or two of due to the fee. But I joined and applied for the navy federal nvrewards got approved for $1,000 (@13.2% Prime +) after a day or so ( I think they manual reviewed) I'd like to have a higher limit seeing as alot of you folks got much higher limits should I wait a few months or call back right away? I just got the message in the email today but it hasn't showed up in my online account access.  Would it be a good idea to offer my bank statements?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: NVFCU Approval but I want a higher CL

first off congrats on the approval. you could request a recon on the limit now and they will do another hp or what i would do is wait 6 mos use the card responsibly pif every month then ask for an increase

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 9
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Is there a specific number I should call? (backdoor?) I called regular CS and the person i spoke to said i have to wait a year or something sounded like a generic answer to me after all its not like they would have the power to do anything about that right?

I also have a chase ink cash but since it doesn't report to my personal other lenders seem to want to give me low limit cards. Which is the only reason I want a higher limit so that when I apply for something else then they can see a nice limit to compete with.

Message 3 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

IME, Navy Fed doesn't really recon. They give you the limit that they are willing to give you the first time. Your best bet is to use the card and PIF each month -- either by due date or before the stmt cuts. (I paid mine each month before the stmt cut since I didn't want my util to be high due to the low CL.)

Use it for 6 mos and then CLI. Also, you'll get better CL if you set up ckg w/them. You don't necessarily need DD. But they think it's less risky to give credit to people who also bank w/them, rather than people who are just using them for a CC. (Their rep told me this.)

If you recon now, they will do a 2nd HP and probably won't give you a higher CL. Offering them info won't help. If they wanted/needed more info to approve you, they would have asked for it. They aren't shy in that dept.! 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 9
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

Right on, they did ask about setting up a checking with them. Do i need to fund it pretty well? 

Message 5 of 9
Smug
Established Contributor

Hi, I got 7.5k and a week later asked for 10k and was approved on the spot.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 6 of 9
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

Nice how did u request it? A phone call or some other way?

Message 7 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@jonmartin wrote:

Right on, they did ask about setting up a checking with them. Do i need to fund it pretty well? 

I don't think it matters that much. I haven't been able to get a good answer on this. It might help if they see your deposits coming in each month.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 8 of 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Your best bet would be to wait 6 months then ask for an increase. If you ask for an increase now you will get another HP and most likely you will either get denied or limit raised to 2000. If you wait you might have a shot at a more decent limit
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.