Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name that Subprime Credit Card Company

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Name that Subprime Credit Card Company

Lets make a list of subprime Credit Card companies. I'll start it off...

1: HSBC

2: Creditone Bank

3: Capital One

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

Re: Name that Subprime Credit Card Company

don't forget the subprime of the subprime the good old FIRST PREMIER

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 2 of 30
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

followed by household bank , bryant state bank, urban trust bank and continental finance

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 3 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I'll play devil's advocate here.

The problem with making such a list is defining exactly what "subprime" means.

Is it just a matter of opinion or are you going to use certain parameters to decide what is and what is not subprime?

Are all Cap 1 cards subprime or just some of them? Which are which?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I gotta agree.

Cap 1 has some pretty hefty prime cards that are very hard to obtain in the 'excellent credit' category.

Thing is, most people get the Cap 1 rebuilder cards. Then toss them when they get their scores up. And then for whatever reason forget Cap 1 has cards that cater to higher tierd FICO's, and at that point in time label Cap 1 as subprime or whatever. Maybe it's because during the rebuilding process they get so angry with Cap 1 because they don't budge on CLI's as their credit profile grows. Totally understandable. I have been there, done that with them, but I know it is because I got a rebuilder card in the beginning. And don't misinterpret what I am saying as defending Cap 1. But I do think that because they tend to basically hand out the lower end cards, it's easy to forget that they actually do have some nice  prime CC products.

Of course I am speaking from my experience, and just making a guess as to what others might be thinking here.

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 6 of 30
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea I gotta agree.

Cap 1 has some pretty hefty prime cards that are very hard to obtain in the 'excellent credit' category.

Thing is, most people get the Cap 1 rebuilder cards. Then toss them when they get their scores up. And then for whatever reason forget Cap 1 has cards that cater to higher tierd FICO's, and at that point in time label Cap 1 as subprime or whatever. Maybe it's because during the rebuilding process they get so angry with Cap 1 because they don't budge on CLI's as their credit profile grows. Totally understandable. I have been there, done that with them, but I know it is because I got a rebuilder card in the beginning. And don't misinterpret what I am saying as defending Cap 1. But I do think that because they tend to basically hand out the lower end cards, it's easy to forget that they actually do have some nice  prime CC products.

Of course I am speaking from my experience, and just making a guess as to what others might be thinking here.

I agree cap1 has a few nice prime cards, but its the company's reputation as a sub prime lender. For the matter of fact, they are a million times better than FP or credit one.

If I was to add another card to my collection it won't be a cap1 prime. I don't trust that their support staff knows how to handle prime customers.

It's more for the same reason that toyota sells lexus through a entirely different car company.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 7 of 30
MrShush
Valued Contributor

No one mentioned Tribute?Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 30
JonStur
Established Contributor

Tribute is no longer in business...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 9 of 30
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@JonStur wrote:
Tribute is no longer in business...

But a sub-prime lender nonetheless.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.