Moderator Emeritus
tinuviel

Re: Name that Subprime Credit Card Company

Well, someone already beat me to the punch my naming FP. So, I'll name another one... Applied Bank.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Regular Contributor
creditguy-378

ya forgot about that one what about mbna back in the day i remember having a 1500 credit card and a 26.9APR

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Established Member
Maverick79

Starting Score: EX (Plus) 727, TU 678, EQ 696
Current Score: EX (Plus) 740, TU 707, EQ 702
Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
aftermath

Amex... after being subjected to an FR! :smileyvery-happy:

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Established Contributor
andre181

Providian/WaMu

Discover IT $24K | FNBO Visa $20K | Citi Forward $12.5K | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $10K | Priceline/Barclays $10K | Amazon/Chase Visa Sig $8.3k | Citi ThankYou Preferred $6.5K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Sallie Mae World MC/Barclays $5K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | Commerce Bank $5K | WF Cash Back Visa $3.6K | Amazon/GEMB $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | AMEX BCE $2K Target $1K | AMEX Green
EX FICO (from AMEX): 754, TU08 FICO (from Discover): 755, AAoA: 3.6 years
Valued Contributor
smc733

aftermath wrote:

Amex is a "prime" lender, we can all agree, but as someone on another *ahem* board has once said, they rely on "very subprime" tactics, most notably, their "great customer service" goes down the drain with rude service for people who end up being FR'd.

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

smc733 wrote:

aftermath wrote:

Amex is a "prime" lender, we can all agree, but as someone on another *ahem* board has once said, they rely on "very subprime" tactics, most notably, their "great customer service" goes down the drain with rude service for people who end up being FR'd.

No we can't.   I think American Express business philosophy or FR or dropping anybody for any possible reason is not prime.  

Frequent Contributor
JMN

creditguy-378 wrote:

ya forgot about that one what about mbna back in the day i remember having a 1500 credit card and a 26.9APR

I believe, that for the most part, they're referring to subprime-only lenders.

MBNA, for the most part, was a prime credit card company. Every credit card company may have accounts with higher interest rates, however, that doesn't represent their entire portfolio. 

Anyway, I'm glad to have never done business with any of the subprime lender noted here, or any others. :smileyvery-happy:

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
New Contributor
ocboy949

johnecova wrote:

Lets make a list of subprime Credit Card companies. I'll start it off...

1: HSBC

2: Creditone Bank

3: Capital One

How is Capital One subprime? While they offer secured cards for rebuilding or establishing credit, that doesn't mean they are subprime. Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Citi, all offer secured cards and they are the furthest thing from subprime. Capital One has many cards for those with excellent credit. Also, they don't charge a foreign transaction fee or balance transfer fee. In addition to that, they make managing your account online very convenient. You can change the card image (at no charge) and set travel notifications. Capital One also has an online checking account that pays 1% interest and reimburses ATM fees amongst other nice banking options. I have a Capital One card that has 7% APR and $5,200 CL with no annual fee. To say that is subprime is just a joke.

TU FICO - 752 (8/12/11)
EX PLUS - 721 (8/9/11)
EQ FICO - 648 (2010)

(21 years old)
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

"Sub-prime" is a relative term in our own minds. When we think "subprime" I believe most of us are thinking about First Premier, Applied Bank, the old Emblem, Tribute, Aspire and others from Columbus B&T, Credit One, and many more I'm sure. Then opinions tend to slide towards other CCs as well like Orchard, HSBC, etc.. I bet some in here think Amex is subprime by they way the sometimes treat their customers with FRs, etc. (I think Amex is great).

IMO, I'm in the camp that CapOne is subprime. While the APR wasn't too bad on mine at about 20%, the APR was higher than my Orchard which was under 15% and higher than DW's HSBC. Not only that, but I'm stuck at $1000 and CapOne almost never ever never gives CLIs, whereas HSBC/Orchard recently increased CLs. And CapOne pulls all 3 CRAs and then there's an annual fee. Now there have been a couple of posts in here that CapOne is doing FRs. Nuts! And I'm sure most CapOne CC cardholders are like this as well and that's where the stigma comes from with regards to CapOne being perceived as a subprime CC. I can't speak to everyone on here, but it's my own fault that I had a CapOne and should have waited until credit improved (back then) before apping. There seems to be a paradigm shift lately within CapOne, but 2-3+ years ago, their focus was on those who had lower credit scores. I see better limits now being posted by those who waited to apply with high scores.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+