Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nasa Federal Credit Union - Credit Card

tag
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Nasa Federal Credit Union - Credit Card

How do I become a member without working at Nasa or paying any fees?

Interested in their credit card.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nasa Federal Credit Union - Credit Card

Short answer: You can't.

You can join the National Space Society for $20 though. Think of it as a one-time only application fee. That gets you an account as NASA FCU. I couldn't see if you actually needed an account in order to get a CC with them, so there's a chance that you could apply without having an account.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you want this card? Is it the 2% rewards, the limit, or something else?

If its the 2% rewards, you can always apply for Citi Double Cash, which has no AF. You'll probably get a lower rate than NASA, but you'll be able to get the rewards you want. 

Message 2 of 20
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can join the National Space Society for $20 though. Think of it as a one-time only application fee. That gets you an account as NASA FCU. I couldn't see if you actually needed an account in order to get a CC with them, so there's a chance that you could apply without having an account.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you want this card? Is it the 2% rewards, the limit, or something else?

If its the 2% rewards, you can always apply for Citi Double Cash, which has no AF. You'll probably get a lower rate than NASA, but you'll be able to get the rewards you want. 

I want to have a good history with them.  10 years from now I plan to work as a software engineer for Nasa. When I was a kid I always wanted to be an astrounat.  Just being a small part of Nasa would be a dream come true.

Software may not seem important but their robotic structures and many aspects of NASA require software engineering.

Its all just a dream really Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoshNurse wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to have a good history with them.  10 years from now I plan to work as a software engineer for Nasa. When I was a kid I always wanted to be an astrounat.  Just being a small part of Nasa would be a dream come true.

Software may not seem important but their robotic structures and many aspects of NASA require software engineering.

Hey, no argument from me. I used to dream about being an astronaut, went to engineering school, and worked on satellite thruster brackets for SS/L. It seems to be a good card. I didn't go beyond the "setup email address/password" section, but you might be able to go further without having an account. if not, they have a list of "sister" associations. Since their recommended one (NSS) has an AF of $20, that's probably the lowest that you can find, but you only have to pay it for the first year. On the other hand, with your love of space, you might find one of which you're already a member. Additionally, there might be one that you really want to join. Good luck!

Message 4 of 20
Focused10
Established Contributor

Just apply for one of their cards. YOu automatically become a member. That's what I did.

;;;
BCE: $2K | Amazon: $5K | BBVAmex: $7.5K | AAdvntge: $8.5K | AMEX: $30K | Frdm: $10K | Citi: $6.2K | FNB: $10K | NASA: $25K | CapOne QS: $10K | Chase Marriott: $12K ~ Garden 3.2.16
Message 5 of 20
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

There is no membership fee for NASA FCU.
Message 6 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As with most FCUs, tNASA FCU isn't part of the org in its name.

Message 7 of 20
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As with most FCUs, tNASA FCU isn't part of the org in its name.

They use to offer banking services exclusively to employees of NASA.  It may not be part of nasa but I am a big fan of Nasa just like they are Smiley Very Happy 

I was born in Houston texas and went to nasa when I was in kindergarden. One of th ebest experiences in my life..they used to let you go all the way to the launch control center area.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just saw the card and had to stifle a sqee. The card looks amazing. WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT! (but must stay in the garden...)

Message 9 of 20
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

I strongly encourage you to become a member before you apply for the card.

I did not have to pay for membership.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.