Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy FCU Line of Credit vs Personal Loan

tag
jhb
New Contributor

Navy FCU Line of Credit vs Personal Loan

Hello everyone,

I was just approved for a personal loan through NFCU for $10,000 at 18%. However, I also have their Line of Credit for $15,000. Which of the two is the way to go for the $10,000? My APR for the Line of Credit according to their website is %15.9, but a Representative just told me it's %2 of the whole balance, which has now confused me. The personal loan check will be here tomorrow via FedEx, so now I come to you all for advice. Thanks.  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Navy FCU Line of Credit vs Personal Loan

that is how much your payment would be when you use your CLOC.  So lets say you spent $10,000 on you CLOC your payment would be $200.00

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 5
jhb
New Contributor

So it doesn't really matter which one I use right? I thought I read here a few years ago that the NFCU LOC should be the last resort, after a personal loan.
Message 3 of 5
jbsea
Established Contributor

Well it is there for you to use but I wouldn't use it.  If you already have the personal loan use that.  If you use you loc then it would affect your utility in a negative way and you would see your score drop. 

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 4 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

18% is a very high rate to even consider, unless perhaps in exceptional circumstance. Request APRD on CLOC in any case (lowest available rate is 13.9).

Just now seeing scores are probably a limiting factor for better rates or APRD, by any chance can you bolster them prior to loan and/or repay this one (at 18%) instantly?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.