Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy FCU - Read your inbox on Navy's site - Bill Pay compromised

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy FCU - Read your inbox on Navy's site - Bill Pay compromised

Dear Member:

This message provides an important update regarding an incident that occurred with CheckFree Corporation, our online bill pay service provider. In the early morning hours of Tuesday, December 2, 2008, some online bill pay users were fraudulently redirected to a non-CheckFree site. This site may have installed malicious software on computers that did not have up-to-date anti-virus protection. CheckFree took action to correct the situation and made changes necessary to redirect users to the valid CheckFree site. Subsequently, the non-CheckFree site was shut down.

You get 2 free years of monitoring serviceSmiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy FCU - Read your inbox on Navy's site - Bill Pay compromised

I don't use their online bill pay, thank goodness. It's great that they are atleast offering monitoring services. Some banks could care less.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think most banks when something like that happens offers a free monitoring or free checking of your credit reports service.  I know my Dad's did when a third party messenger service had one of their trucks stolen with his info in it, or something like that. 

It's a PR thing: 'Hey we know something bad happened in association with our bank, but here's a monitoring service so you don't get mad at us and leave'

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple of years ago, Lending Tree sent us a letter to inform us that their database had been broken into and our information was given out. They did nadda!

I have a new social now, but DH has FA's on his files plus monitoring that I pay for since he could careless. I monitor my reports regardless, but this made me angry that they refused to do anything.

Message 4 of 10
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A couple of years ago, Lending Tree sent us a letter to inform us that their database had been broken into and our information was given out. They did nadda!

I have a new social now, but DH has FA's on his files plus monitoring that I pay for since he could careless. I monitor my reports regardless, but this made me angry that they refused to do anything.

Quick question. My only knowledge of what Lending Tree does is limited to their commercials talking about using their site to provide personal information and then in return getting offers from interested lendors.

I was wondering if this breach put at risk the information of customers who used Lending Tree just for this service. When this data breach happened, had you used lending tree just for getting a quote ?
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 12-06-2008 06:09 AM
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

DH gave them our information when we were looking to buy a house instead of renting. That is when we learned our credit was not anywhere where it needed to be, but yes, there is a mortgage pull from 2-07. I think I still have the letter. I will look and see if I can find it and see exactly what it says. My files are growning quite large over the course of the time I have been working on our reports, so it may take me sometime. I too could possibly have tossed it on my last attempt to downsize the ever growing filing cabinet. It's gotten to the point I can't fit much else in and need to buy a new one.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Dear Member:

This message provides an important update regarding an incident that occurred with CheckFree Corporation, our online bill pay service provider. In the early morning hours of Tuesday, December 2, 2008, some online bill pay users were fraudulently redirected to a non-CheckFree site. This site may have installed malicious software on computers that did not have up-to-date anti-virus protection. CheckFree took action to correct the situation and made changes necessary to redirect users to the valid CheckFree site. Subsequently, the non-CheckFree site was shut down.

You get 2 free years of monitoring serviceSmiley Happy

I keep recommending Linux for online finances, and people keep scoffing... 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I can remember of that time, there was no quote given. But there is the pull and DH did this on the spur of the moment over the internet. DH also has the pull on his reports.
Message 8 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

it's not just banks doing this.  someone walked off with a laptop containing personal information for starbucks' employees, including my gf.  1 free year of equifax silver.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if Checkfree didn't patch or ignored completely the DNS flaw that was all the rage several months ago. They cannot say they didn't hear of it and still be IT professionals.
Message Edited by shreco on 12-06-2008 09:57 PM
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.