Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Union - App SURVEY

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Curious about Navy Federal Credit Union

@Anonymous wrote:

Obviously I don't dispute what is on the website, this is why I called in rather than attempt an online.  I can only FYI what I experienced and what I was told, what a friend of mine experienced and what he was told.

This wasnt' meant to be a debate, I was merely sharing the info.  For those who prefer not to consider it..... Smiley Happy

Seems you are disputing what is on the website. Unless I missed something. Getting a clueless CSR to give you membership will usually stick though. Have fun with it. As long as you didn't "knowingly provide false information" or however it is worded, to gain membership.

Message Edited by hobojon on 04-12-2009 11:56 PM
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Happy  Sorry if it seems that "I" am disputing.....I'm not.  I'm sharing what was told to me.  So, actually, the CSR seems to be either disputing the website OR that policy has been amended and not updated on website.

But, I am currently following up with NFCU to make sure that my friend and I were not the subject of a CSR with bad info.

If I have been misinformed, I will update the thread....I do not want to provide misinformation.....

Thanks for all of the replies....I am using it to follow up with NFCU (on phone holding now) Smiley Happy

UPDATE:  Called NFCU and spoke to CSR.  Explained I had a "friend" who insisted my eligibility did not qualify.  I told her that I didn't want to go through a lot of motions only to later be kicked back out for ineligibility.  She looked in the system and read off the "website" qualifications to which I said "I don't qualify" personally, I am not pensioned, annuitized, retired, active or reserve or the member of household of anyone who is.  I told her I had a grandfather who retired Navy and my father-in-law was active reservist warrant officer, but that I did not believe that either were ever members.  She said she believed I still qualified, but transferred me to the "eligibility department."  I spoke to a nice guy who asked me various questions and said, I believe you are qualified.

So, it may be that they are basing my personal qualifications on the fact that I have a grandfather who retired Navy and have a father-in-law who is eligible.  Anyway....I will update when I find out more.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-12-2009 04:36 PM
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds like a typical NFCU CSR. You obviously are not eligible but the CSR's state that they think you are. Makes a lot of sense. That is how NFCU rolls. Many people get in this way. Not many, but some, get shut down at a later date. I'm all for using whatever works.
Message Edited by hobojon on 04-12-2009 05:40 PM
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Happy fraud?  I dont' know about that.  Nobody, least of all me, has suggested providing false info.

Family Members, including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

I have family members, but it may very well be that the intitial CSR's were incorrect in part.  I'm checking the family eligibility to determine it.  When the welcome packet comes, I'll look at what they need and provide that if I can.  If I cannot....then I won't move forward with any false info. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Happy fraud?  I dont' know about that.  Nobody, least of all me, has suggested providing false info.

Family Members, including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

I have family members, but it may very well be that the intitial CSR's were incorrect in part.  I'm checking the family eligibility to determine it.  When the welcome packet comes, I'll look at what they need and provide that if I can.  If I cannot....then I won't move forward with any false info. 

One of the family members has to be a member, not just qualified to be a member. You supply your sponsors member number when you join.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I'm waiting for in the welcome packet....what they want/require me to provide.  In the three calls (4 different CSR's) I have made requesting to know if and how I qualify, one call in which I was transferred to a second tier department because I wanted a detailed explanation on my eligibility, none required or seemed concerned for me to supply an access number of exising member, even when I asked them "don't you need an existing access number?"

So, I am waiting on the welcome packet to see what docs are requested and instructions are given.  Regardless of what the website says, I will review the terms and material which I am required to sign, return and docs provided to determine what I need.  I am checking with family members to see which/who are members so that I have that in the case I need to provide it.  But if they don't want it upon my questioning the point, don't require it in the docs and paperwork sent to me, I'm not sure that I have the obligation to argue my eligibility with them.  I will comply with any and all requirement presented in the packet, paperwork and phone calls. Smiley Happy  Worst case, I suppose, is that my father-in-law needs to go online and join so that I can provide that number as an "iron clad" qualification.  It also appears that my deceased grandfather, retired navy, was a member decades ago, but nobody knows the access number....maybe service number or ssn would work in that scenario.

Message 16 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I will be interested to read the final result on this.

hobojon, I would like to point out that just as there are many ill-informed CSR's, there are also many websites that aren't properly updated. Rather than stating flat-out that txjohn isn't qualified for membership, it would be wiser, as well as more tactful, to simply state your skepticism.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My StepFather is retired Navy but do not think he is a member of the NFCU so I look forward to find out what you find out cause when I go to the site it says it wants a sponsorss member number to join.. I want in if I can cause they are giving some good cl for low 600 scores....

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you/were you military?  If not, why not ask your stepfather to join (online- quick process - only $5) and then you know you can get in Smiley Happy

From what I can see, those who qualify and seek credit....NFCU seems to have a history of doing better than average.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-14-2009 03:32 AM
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.