Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Union - App SURVEY

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Credit Union - App SURVEY

Okay, I am curious about apps, approvals, & CL's at NFCU.  Second half of last year (6/08 - 12/08) there were some interesting posts on results.  I'm curious if those type of results have changed in past 4 months.   

UPDATE:  It does appear that qualifications are more restrictive in NFCU than other CU's, requiring either current active status in military, DoD, DoD contractor, relevant paid/annuitized retirement, 1st degree relation or of household to existing/past member, or part of a qualifying military downsizing action.

My understanding is NFCU pulls EQ exclusively like many other CU's.

I am interested in gathering survey on:

Date of App:

Credit Type (CC, Auto, etc)

EQ FICO:

Number of Inquiries:

Highest CL:
Date of Newest Account:

Date of Oldest Account

AAoA:

Stated Income:

Income Verification Required:

Approved or Declined:
Credit Limit / Loan Amount:

APR:

Any derogs on EQ:

How did you qualify for membership:

Helpful Comments:

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-13-2009 06:00 AM
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Curious about Navy Federal Credit Union

Approved for 10,000 nrewards card in mid march. i had 2 small collections which were paid over 2 years ago. my eq was 664 when i applied. my oldest account is about 12 years old. i had a ton of recent inquiries (>8). Cant remember what else u asked, hope this helps.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  Very helpful. Smiley Happy

It would be helpful if you also explained how you qualified for membership (are you active military, prior, family member, etc.)

Anyone else app in 2009?

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-12-2009 11:44 AM
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joined yesterday online.  Apped for CC.  Waiting for welcome packet and app results.  Will update when I get them.

Date:  4/10/2009

App'ed:  Visa

EQ FICO:  736

AAoA:  5+ years

# Inqs:  4 in last year (2 in last month)

Derogs:  couple lates 6+ years ago

Oldest Account:  10 Years

Newest Account:  1.5 years

Income:  $120k

Join Qualification:  prior military (Army vet); sibling of member

Comments:  You don't get online results.  You have to wait for a welcome packet before you can register online for logging in.  All apps appear to have delayed results and LO or committee review.  Does not ask for a requested CL.

Message Edited by snibarger on 04-12-2009 04:03 PM
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to what is listed on their website that meets their requirements: If you receive any money from the VA in the form of a disability pension you will be accepted. Many people have walked into a branch and asked for membership when they were not eligible (prior military is not relevant unless you receive a disability pension or you are regularly or medically retired) and were accepted. It just depends on who you talk to. Same goes for phone CSR's. If you are persistent you can usually get in. Many area's of the DOD/subcontractor eligibility have been exploited. If you need credit bad enough I guess people will pursue this. Not sure why someone with 800 scores would want to be with NFCU though. They offer easy credit, not much else. Their deposit rates are lame. Their auto loans are average credit union type rates. They will pull a hard for every product. They are highly disorganized (comes from being the largest CU in the US). Anyway, just having prior military service in no way automatically qualifies you. You may be able to get in that way through an ignorant CSR though.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union now accepts prior military - App SURVEY

DATE: AROUND 04/01/09

Credit Type: Credit Card

EQ:749

Number of Inquires: 2

Highest Limit: 2600

AAoA: 4 years

Income: 50,000

Approved instant no income verification

CL: 13000

no Derogs

Qualifications: Medically Retired, retain all benefits like usual retired members, I am suprised about the status of veterans being allowed. They made me jump through many hoops to prove that I was retired, my app was with security dept for two weeks, with a copy of DD214 and ID card, so new qualifications must be really recent, but grats

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union now accepts prior military - App SURVEY

Their membership requirements haven't changed. Many people think they get in when they get a member number from a CSR that doesn't know any better. Many will get shut down later too due to not being eligible. I wouldn't invest too much time or money into this when you know it isn't legit. Especially when you don't need the credit or relationship to begin with. Why would someone with 800 scores pursue this? I've been a member for over 20 years now. Unless you have a recent BK or are desperate for credit NFCU is nothing special.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:  It does appear that qualifications are restricted in NFCU, requiring either current active/reserve/guard/irr status in military, DoD, DoD contractor, relevant paid/annuitized retirement, 1st degree relation or of household to existing/past member, or part of a qualifying military downsizing action.

========================================================================== 

partsworks -  I am former Army, no pension, disability, not IRR, not reserves...just a plain jane "vet" though I have a Navy retired grandfather and father-in-law is active reserve warrant officer 5 and federal employee. 

Called up, asked if I qualified:  Answer: "YES"  they signed me up over the phone in about 5 minutes.

I explained in detail to the CSR that I had not current ties or compensation to any form of federal employment, contractor, military, etc.  He said, we have opened enrollment up to all branches and all prior service.

And I think you hit the nail on the head:  Easy credit.  If I am going to pursue credit through various organizations that I have no deposit relationship with, why would I 'not' utilize one which actually is in the market to provide higher CL's and easy to work with LO's?  That is "nothing special?"  In this market, if you qualify for membership, how is the ability to get $10-20-30k CL's where none are available elsewhere not be special?

When you go to Discover and they give you $2k CL (obviously I have no deposits with them) but the CU's are giving me $10k plus, I'm moving my business where it is appreciated.

I now use Chase, BoA, Citi, Discover, etc on CC's.  They are not giving CLI's, not receptive to much new credit, and their loan rates are no better or not as good as the CU's.

As for "disorganized" well, I have read far too many posts here about the fubar issues with any of the big banks to not take the occassional mishap as part of human relations.

So, Alliant CU provides superior rates of return for general savings.  My investments are with BoA partially and with a specialty broker for others.  My checking and money market for now with BoA.  I don't mind keeping a little money at lower rates with NFCU as my contribution to an organization that is still in the credit market in a manner that I appreciate.

I'm not hearing anyone complain of CLD or nebulous AA from the CU's.

I'm goint to follow up with CS and make them explain my eligibility to me and make sure.  I'll let you know if something changes on the story they are giving me for qualifications.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-13-2009 06:02 AM
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration. If you are in any of these categories, you are eligible to join:

• All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force, retirees and annuitants
  • All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants
  • All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants
  • All DoD Officer Candidate programs: Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs
  • U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)
  • All DoD civilian employees
  • DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations
  • Family Members, including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Doesn't look like anything has changed to me. 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously I don't dispute what is on the website, this is why I called in rather than attempt an online.  I can only FYI what I experienced and what I was told, what a friend of mine experienced and what he was told.

This wasnt' meant to be a debate, I was merely sharing the info.  For those who prefer not to consider it..... Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.