Frequent Contributor
shalane85

Navy Federal Credit Union CC

My question is when should I app for a NFCU cc? I am in the rebuilding stage of credit and I am post bankruptcy since July 2011. Since then I only have one car loan that I am never late on, student loans deferred, and one capitol one card au w/ 7500cl (0 balance). I justed opened a checking and savings with NFCU and I keep hearing good things about them, but I am afraid to apply for credit because I don't want to risk a HP if I have no chance of being approved. My fico eq is 610 (no idea about the others, although they have the same info on the CR) and my AAoA is 3 years. Should I wait another year before trying or should I go for it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Starting Score: EQ FICO 470 TU FICO 482 7/15/2011
Current Score: EX ?? /EQ FICO 628 / TU ??
Goal Score: 680 across the board!

Navy Federal nRewards $500 cl
Capitol One Platinum (AU) $7500 cl
USAA Amex $250
Kay Jewelers $900
Frequent Contributor
Woolfman

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union CC

I say go for it. At worst its just one inquiry. 

Starting Score: 680
Current Score: 761 From 12/11/2013
Goal Score: 800

Senior Contributor
bichonmom

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union CC

shalane85 wrote:

My question is when should I app for a NFCU cc? I am in the rebuilding stage of credit and I am post bankruptcy since July 2011. Since then I only have one car loan that I am never late on, student loans deferred, and one capitol one card au w/ 7500cl (0 balance). I justed opened a checking and savings with NFCU and I keep hearing good things about them, but I am afraid to apply for credit because I don't want to risk a HP if I have no chance of being approved. My fico eq is 610 (no idea about the others, although they have the same info on the CR) and my AAoA is 3 years. Should I wait another year before trying or should I go for it?

You're pretty fresh out of BK. You might want to call and talk with their CC dept and ask them if they have a minimum time post BK for a CC approval. In general, they are pretty good helping people to rebuild, but I haven't seen a lot of post-BK posts w/them. I'd suggest you have at least 6 mos, preferrably a year, with any revolving credit line for your best chance with them. With your current profile, I think they'd require a secured CC.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}