Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Union - Membership

tag
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

Navy Federal Credit Union - Membership

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in this forum for a while now, and I have to say, it's pretty amazing! Smiley Happy

I am seriously wanting to join Navy FCU.  My grandfather, who passed in 2007, was in the Navy.  My parents and I don't speak anymore, but I was wondering if there is a way to get in through my late grandfather.  I've heard wonderful things about this CU, and I would absolutely love to be part of it.

Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

<3  ~ S

- Transunion - 626

- Equifax         - 635

- Goal              - 720

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
danisgods
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union - Membership

Hi there, welcome!

I'm sorry to hear about you and your parents...

I believe you dont need to be in the NAVY to join, therefore you can join on your own, once again , i am not sure,but there might be a criteria , but i dont believe that being part of the NAVY is one of them.

Starting Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Current Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Goal Score: 760-780

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@sarahscott1561 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in this forum for a while now, and I have to say, it's pretty amazing! Smiley Happy

I am seriously wanting to join Navy FCU.  My grandfather, who passed in 2007, was in the Navy.  My parents and I don't speak anymore, but I was wondering if there is a way to get in through my late grandfather.  I've heard wonderful things about this CU, and I would absolutely love to be part of it.

Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

<3  ~ S

- Transunion - 626

- Equifax         - 635

- Goal              - 720

Welcome to the forums.

Here is an Eligibility Checklist for NFCU.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 26
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, and I tried to apply online. However, if my grandfather is deceased, how do I go about getting his access number? It's mandatory that I put that information in the online system.

Message 4 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

That's about all I know about NFCU.  Smiley Happy

Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 26
Woolfman
Established Contributor

the easiest way around that is to call them and do the app over the phone. Thats what i did.  They did not ask me for any of his info.(my dad). She had me set up quickly and havent had any issues or questions from them.

Message 6 of 26
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

Thank you so much! Smiley Happy I guess I'll try that and see what happens. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 26
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

I talked to Navy FCU. The lady said that I would need proof that my grandfather was receiving a pension from DoD. She also said I would need his access number. Seriously? On my dead grandfather? Access number? How am I supposed to obtain that? Seems unfair. My grandfather fought for our country; he paid his dues to the US, and I can't join a CU that I have heard so many good things about. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 26
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

Is anyone willing to "adopt" me? Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 26
Cranston
Established Member

Re: Navy FCU federal credit union membership

Write a letter to the chairman.. If you have any type of proof include that.

Dont blame CSRs - they mostly dont have the power to  make decisions.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.