Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Union - Membership

tag
cw81
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union - Membership

@sarahscott1561 wrote:
Update: I decided to try again applying via phone with someone different. She was very nice and said that I didn't need to provide anything. She submitted my app and said I should get something in the mail in the next 3-5 days. Yay!

Anyone who has applied over the phone for membership, what happens next? How long did it take to get your packet in the mail?
Thanks to everyone who has replied. Smiley Happy

Just as FYI  that they do audit  accounts and they come back and ask for  verification in that event be prepared to provide whatever is required frontline CSRs dont always ask for  verification but there is a security group  that does I know because I had to deal with them to provide  information  I was locked out of my account until I did I do know  others who had the same happen.

Message 21 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

FWIW, I qualified because my mother receives a pension from my father's service. (He died in 1980.) I called in and had his SSN ready, but they didn't ask. I gave them his full name and department (Army), and that was it. But I do think that they're able to pull up lists of pensioners, so I would certainly recommend being sure that the qualifying member really did have a pension --that he/she was retired rather than just separated --to know that you're eligible.

Not to mention that it's unethical to join when one doesn't truly meet the requirements. Smiley Happy  <-- not directed at anyone, but this is a topic that frequently comes up with credit unions.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 22 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I think I'm guilty of thread jacking here (and will quickly slink away) but I wish NFCU would allow membership to disabled veterans. Perhaps some day they will.

I'm slinking, I'm slinking.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 23 of 26
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

Thanks for all of the replies!

I know for a fact that my grandfather was RETIRED from the Navy. I also know that my grandmother gets a pension from DoD.  That, in itself, qualifies myself.

Smiley Happy 

Message 24 of 26
breakthecycle
Regular Contributor

I spoke with family and I'm going to be in. Active family already a member handed me the app and said enjoy, they love it.
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, well I actually was a Marine and had a Navy Fed account.  Had a car loan, credit card, and savings account with them.  After I paid everything off, I ended up closing my accounts.  Little did I realize I wouldn't be able to join back again.  

So I don't wanna hear about all these spoiled grandchildren of veterans that can't join.  Try being a veteran that was once a member that can't join.

Now that's a PITA.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.