New Contributor

Navy Federal Credit Union Plat. VISA- Gettin' jerked around...

I had posted that my NFCU Platinum card was offered to me with a fixed 9.75% APR. I read online that APR's were available as low as 7.99%. I called NFCU, asked for a rate reduction, and was told it could/would be lowered to 8.75% fixed. Thanked the nice lady, and thought it was handled.  Checked my account online a week later, and saw it had NOT been handled.  So, I called them a 4th time, and was told that it was not lowered.

Apparently, the interest rate I brought with me from USA FCU was a fixed rate (9.75%), and NFCU doesn't offer a fixed rate, they only offer a variable rate card.  Me and the rest of the cadre from USA FCU are grandfathered in with a fixed rate product...for the time being. I was told I could get a variable rate of 7.99%, but that it was variable and subject to change.  I told the rep thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my fixed rate of 9.75% and put the card in the sock drawer.  I don't need the 15K credit line, and have been jerked around enough. 9.75% is my highest APR on ANY tradeline, and although I PIF every month, I just don't need to use this card. If I need to carry a balance, I'll do it on my USAA Plat MC at 6%.

I was hoping that NFCU would turn out to offer the same great customer service I've become accustomed to getting with USAA with whom I've had a successful relationship since 1990.  I see that's not to be the case. The 4 different NFCU customer service reps with whom I've spoken all seem to be on different pages, and that does not inspire confidence.  Anyone else experience this?

EQ: 800 (09/2014)
TU: 804 (06/2015)
EXP: 795 (06/2015)
USAA World MC (6.0%) - USAA AMEX (7.75%) - AMEX Zync - AMEX Everyday (14.99%)- Ameriprise Gold MC (9.2%) - NFCU VISA Signature (9.65%) - Simmons First National Bank Platinum VISA (7.25%)
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union Plat. VISA- Gettin' jerked around...

I can't speak for the way it was handled, as I wasn't in on those calls, but I see nothing wrong with their offer.  Why would they extend a product offer to you that they don't offer to anyone else?  They gave you the option to accept their lowest rate, but their lowest rate is a variable rate.  You can't expect them to offer you a 7.99% fixed rate, and then when the prime rate goes up, not make any money off any balance on the account.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emerita

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union Plat. VISA- Gettin' jerked around...

DaveinSC wrote:

I had posted that my NFCU Platinum card was offered to me with a fixed 9.75% APR. I read online that APR's were available as low as 7.99%. I called NFCU, asked for a rate reduction, and was told it could/would be lowered to 8.75% fixed. Thanked the nice lady, and thought it was handled.  Checked my account online a week later, and saw it had NOT been handled.  So, I called them a 4th time, and was told that it was not lowered.

Apparently, the interest rate I brought with me from USA FCU was a fixed rate (9.75%), and NFCU doesn't offer a fixed rate, they only offer a variable rate card.  Me and the rest of the cadre from USA FCU are grandfathered in with a fixed rate product...for the time being. I was told I could get a variable rate of 7.99%, but that it was variable and subject to change.  I told the rep thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my fixed rate of 9.75% and put the card in the sock drawer.  I don't need the 15K credit line, and have been jerked around enough. 9.75% is my highest APR on ANY tradeline, and although I PIF every month, I just don't need to use this card. If I need to carry a balance, I'll do it on my USAA Plat MC at 6%.

I was hoping that NFCU would turn out to offer the same great customer service I've become accustomed to getting with USAA with whom I've had a successful relationship since 1990.  I see that's not to be the case. The 4 different NFCU customer service reps with whom I've spoken all seem to be on different pages, and that does not inspire confidence.  Anyone else experience this?

9.75% fixed is, as I'm sure you know, a rarity in todays finance world, for a revolving credit card. The lowest rate that NFCU offers on credit card products, as thrasher mentioned, is a 7.99% variable rate on the Platinum. It sounds like the first rep probably submitted your request  to change your APR to a lower fixed rate APR for review, and it was declined, but with a counter-offer for the lowest/best rate available.

I really don't think that you have anything to worry about with NFCU, because they can't or won't offer you a customized product that's not generally available. I've found their customer service to be very good & responsive, even if the response is "No, Ma'am, we can't offer you that." And, since you don't carry balances any way, I'd say it's a non-issue. Not to mention, NFCU is almost always offering some low rate BT deal, so you may find it advantageous to give them a 2nd look if you do ever have a balance to carry.

But I like USAA a whole lot too, and I bounce back & forth as to which I like better. You might be a bit perturbed with NFCU today, but I wouldn't count them out as a stellar lending institution with above average customer service.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.