cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Union Plat. VISA- Gettin' jerked around...

New Contributor

Navy Federal Credit Union Plat. VISA- Gettin' jerked around...

I had posted that my NFCU Platinum card was offered to me with a fixed 9.75% APR. I read online that APR's were available as low as 7.99%. I called NFCU, asked for a rate reduction, and was told it could/would be lowered to 8.75% fixed. Thanked the nice lady, and thought it was handled.  Checked my account online a week later, and saw it had NOT been handled.  So, I called them a 4th time, and was told that it was not lowered.

Apparently, the interest rate I brought with me from USA FCU was a fixed rate (9.75%), and NFCU doesn't offer a fixed rate, they only offer a variable rate card.  Me and the rest of the cadre from USA FCU are grandfathered in with a fixed rate product...for the time being. I was told I could get a variable rate of 7.99%, but that it was variable and subject to change.  I told the rep thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my fixed rate of 9.75% and put the card in the sock drawer.  I don't need the 15K credit line, and have been jerked around enough. 9.75% is my highest APR on ANY tradeline, and although I PIF every month, I just don't need to use this card. If I need to carry a balance, I'll do it on my USAA Plat MC at 6%.

I was hoping that NFCU would turn out to offer the same great customer service I've become accustomed to getting with USAA with whom I've had a successful relationship since 1990.  I see that's not to be the case. The 4 different NFCU customer service reps with whom I've spoken all seem to be on different pages, and that does not inspire confidence.  Anyone else experience this?

EQ: 839 (06/2017)
TU: 817 (1/2017)
EXP: 850 (08/2017)
USAA Sig. VISA (6.25%) - AMEX Zync (NPSL)- AMEX Everyday (14.99%)- NFCU VISA Signature (9.65%) - Simmons First National Bank VISA (7.25%) - Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard (12.65%)-USAA "Limitless" Cashback Rewards VISA Signature (14.45%)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union Plat. VISA- Gettin' jerked around...

I can't speak for the way it was handled, as I wasn't in on those calls, but I see nothing wrong with their offer.  Why would they extend a product offer to you that they don't offer to anyone else?  They gave you the option to accept their lowest rate, but their lowest rate is a variable rate.  You can't expect them to offer you a 7.99% fixed rate, and then when the prime rate goes up, not make any money off any balance on the account.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Moderator Emerita

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union Plat. VISA- Gettin' jerked around...

DaveinSC wrote:

I had posted that my NFCU Platinum card was offered to me with a fixed 9.75% APR. I read online that APR's were available as low as 7.99%. I called NFCU, asked for a rate reduction, and was told it could/would be lowered to 8.75% fixed. Thanked the nice lady, and thought it was handled.  Checked my account online a week later, and saw it had NOT been handled.  So, I called them a 4th time, and was told that it was not lowered.

Apparently, the interest rate I brought with me from USA FCU was a fixed rate (9.75%), and NFCU doesn't offer a fixed rate, they only offer a variable rate card.  Me and the rest of the cadre from USA FCU are grandfathered in with a fixed rate product...for the time being. I was told I could get a variable rate of 7.99%, but that it was variable and subject to change.  I told the rep thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my fixed rate of 9.75% and put the card in the sock drawer.  I don't need the 15K credit line, and have been jerked around enough. 9.75% is my highest APR on ANY tradeline, and although I PIF every month, I just don't need to use this card. If I need to carry a balance, I'll do it on my USAA Plat MC at 6%.

I was hoping that NFCU would turn out to offer the same great customer service I've become accustomed to getting with USAA with whom I've had a successful relationship since 1990.  I see that's not to be the case. The 4 different NFCU customer service reps with whom I've spoken all seem to be on different pages, and that does not inspire confidence.  Anyone else experience this?

9.75% fixed is, as I'm sure you know, a rarity in todays finance world, for a revolving credit card. The lowest rate that NFCU offers on credit card products, as thrasher mentioned, is a 7.99% variable rate on the Platinum. It sounds like the first rep probably submitted your request  to change your APR to a lower fixed rate APR for review, and it was declined, but with a counter-offer for the lowest/best rate available.

I really don't think that you have anything to worry about with NFCU, because they can't or won't offer you a customized product that's not generally available. I've found their customer service to be very good & responsive, even if the response is "No, Ma'am, we can't offer you that." And, since you don't carry balances any way, I'd say it's a non-issue. Not to mention, NFCU is almost always offering some low rate BT deal, so you may find it advantageous to give them a 2nd look if you do ever have a balance to carry.

But I like USAA a whole lot too, and I bounce back & forth as to which I like better. You might be a bit perturbed with NFCU today, but I wouldn't count them out as a stellar lending institution with above average customer service.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Message 3 of 3