Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit card

tag
dpride86
Regular Contributor

Navy Federal Credit card

Hello,

I have been looking into applying for the navy federal cash reward credit card and was wondering if it's hard to get (credit score needed) and which credit report do they pull?

-D pride

-Current Score: TU 719 EQ 705 and EX 708 1-11-15
-My Goal: 740+ on all 3
-My wallet:
NFCU Cash Rewards 17k,Fidelity Amex 10.1k, QS 8k, DCU Visa Platinum 7.5k, Chase Freedom 7k, Penfed Promise 6.5k, Amex BCE 6k and Citi 5K.
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit card

I think the nRewards is easier to get, but Navy is a pretty easy approval so I guess it would depend on what baddies you have in your file.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 44
Busaner
Established Member

I'm curious about this too. I've heard multiple times that it  "depends on what baddies [are on one's credit report.]"

What baddies are specifically bad?

-Charge offs from other credit cards?

-Late payments on other credit cards?

-High balances still unpaid? 

-Collection accounts that were settled in a less than full amount?

-A lack of diversified credit?

-Average age of negatives reflecting on a credit report?

Message 3 of 44
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think NAvy is really easy... there is no doubt you'll be approved with scores in the 600s, and the limit will grow over time, and with SP increases, there is really no valid reason to wait.

If for some reason you don't qualify for an unsecured card, you can get a secured card... which will eventually graduate...

Good Luck!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 44
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

I have a bk7 one yr old. A charge off from Capital one from 2010, but 10 months of positive payment was approved for the cash rewards. But I have

1000 in checking
4000 in savings
500 in secured card
100 ira and i been a member for 8 yrs who recently got back with them.

they pulled TU for me... 590
BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 5 of 44
colindidit
Established Contributor

Who thst has NFCU wants to sponsor me Smiley Tonguep
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 6 of 44
elleng81
Contributor

My husband and I were each approved for the cashrewards card. His limit is $6k and he has a few mortgage lates in the last year, four collections (all medical, all under $300) that are unpaid, a charge-off from HFC that was settled after it was CO from 2011, and two student loans are being rehabbed. His TU FICO is 635 and his EQ FICO is 589 and this was just last week. I was approved for $4.5k with four student loans being rehabbed, a CO from Macy's from 2007,  a charge-off from HFC that was settled after it was CO from 2011, but a perfect payment history for over a year. My EQ FICO is 622 and my TU FICO is 652. And I make $76k/year and he makes $65k/year. I called and asked why i wasn't approved for more and they really couldn't tell me why. I am very happy with the amounts since we are both currently rebuilding our credit...  

Message 7 of 44
dpride86
Regular Contributor

oh wow thats great. My fico score is 660 which should be good enough

-Current Score: TU 719 EQ 705 and EX 708 1-11-15
-My Goal: 740+ on all 3
-My wallet:
NFCU Cash Rewards 17k,Fidelity Amex 10.1k, QS 8k, DCU Visa Platinum 7.5k, Chase Freedom 7k, Penfed Promise 6.5k, Amex BCE 6k and Citi 5K.
Message 8 of 44
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@colindidit wrote:
Who thst has NFCU wants to sponsor me Smiley Tonguep

So if I am not in the military, If I want to be eligible for one of these cards, can I find someone and have them sponsor me? Is that how it works?

Message 9 of 44
colindidit
Established Contributor

I assume so...I tried having my dad join but he wouldn't :/ lol. The eligible person would need to join first.
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.