Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit score requirements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Credit score requirements

@Anonymous wrote:

@heyryan wrote:

@I was approved in 06/14 for the Cash Rewards card @ 14% w/ 17.5K starting limit. My score at the time was probably in the mid-600s, and I had a couple collections showing. I didn't have any other cards that were close - I think at the time my highest limit was $5K.

I am looking in a mirror! This gives me a HUGE ammount of hope for NFCU as i didnt have any with PenFed. 

But I am also having a hard time getting in with the SD chapter of the NavyLeague. I just received my stuff in the mail from NL the other day and it says im part of the National or what have you. So once I figure out how to get that taken care of ( even tho ive already talked to someone over there on the phone, and passed email along about it ) I will apply for some products. 

Did you indicate SD chapter on your initial application? 

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patiently waiting on my membership application to be approved so I can apply for one.
Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbb
While I LOVE NFCU...no doubt
IMO if funds are of issue I would not WAIT until I saved a full $500 (which is the only downside to the secured cc Navy offers)

There are secured cards with lower deposits (like Discover, Digital FCU, State FCU etc) where by the time one saves up the additional money the bump of having a say $250 card elsewhere could push a profile and score up enough to qualify for a unsecured Navy card.

Just an FYI

That $500 number has caused many ppl to app elsewhere (Cap-1 etc) with lower deposits only to revisit apping at Navy a few months later with HUGE benefits of being approved for nice unsecured SLs just months after not having half a grand to share in deposit money.

Best of luck😉
Message 23 of 29
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@jbb
While I LOVE NFCU...no doubt
IMO if funds are of issue I would not WAIT until I saved a full $500 (which is the only downside to the secured cc Navy offers)

There are secured cards with lower deposits (like Discover, Digital FCU, State FCU etc) where by the time one saves up the additional money the bump of having a say $250 card elsewhere could push a profile and score up enough to qualify for a unsecured Navy card.

Just an FYI

That $500 number has caused many ppl to app elsewhere (Cap-1 etc) with lower deposits only to revisit apping at Navy a few months later with HUGE benefits of being approved for nice unsecured SLs just months after not having half a grand to share in deposit money.

Best of luck😉

I don't feel like $500 is a crazy amount for a secured card..

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra
Agreed $1000 isn't a CRAZY amount IF one HAS it😃

The poster spoke of waiting till they could SAVE UP $500 and I've been there.... sometimes $500 IS a crazy amount, especially in a country where the average American household doesn't not have a $500 emergency fund, so unfortunately for many YES $500 us a bit steep as a minimum deposit to come up with COMFORTABLY (again this is an extra amoof money, that has to be comfortable NOT needing for at least a year...far too often ppl overburden themselves using money to secure an account only to 'need' that money, then they wind up maxing the card, to basically get at the funds...a dangerous financial move IMO)

The 2nd reason I give ppl an alternative is
A) By waiting till one has a full $500 (again if their saving up) they could have a TL on their credit profile aging and reporting on-time payments 2-3 months earlier... remember the rebuilders goal is to build history and the earlier they start the better, for point scoring purposes the scoring model doesn't care about the SL...it measures on-time payments and % of debt owe / by the CL, period....so waiting till one has saved up $500 is unnecessarily slowing them down.

B) And because the model gives more juice for managing multiple accounts IMO...a person with limited funds is better off (again score manipulation wise) with TWO $250 TLs reporting positive data vs waiting to start just the one.

My point was that by the time a person may have save up half a grand, another might able to build enough history to actually app for an unsecured Navy CC, as NFCU can be an easy approval, if not say a Cap-1 Plat or QS1.

I was just showing how 'if' funds were an issue, it doesn't have to be...many, many vendors have deposit limits way lower than $500 because... let's face it a rebuilder generally may be cash sensitive.

We're talking BoA, Wells, US Bank, Discover a gazillion CUs all have lower deposits than Navy...
As, I mentioned I love NFCU (cashRewards, car & CLOC) however from a strategy POV the $500 deposit IMO knocks them from being a #1 choice

As a Step 1 fund usage for rebuilding...not when one can start showing credit history with a $200 Discover card😂 month 1 then add a $250-$300 from another CU or a major bank a few months later...thus safely saving only $100 a month but building history along the way vs waiting 5 full months to even start a profile.

By using funds at month 2
Then again at month 5
It's possible by month 7-8, in total
a profile may have Three TLs
With one being half a year old
Vs having just one aged three months.

In addition to vetting and building 3 vendor relationships that may come in handy later.
Again, especially considering that the model craves an ideal # of 3-5 open revolvers... I say get them with the least amount of stress possible, w/o denial jeopardy if possible.

Building with Discover in position 1
Wildcard of ones choice in position 2
And NFCU in position 3
Is a winning Long term hand in my book
vs churning bottom feeder companies
Just my 2 cents
Message 25 of 29
Scupra
Super Contributor

On my phone so sorry for the short response in advance Smiley Happy

I don't disagree with any of the points you made. I am a strong believer that credit is a marathon and not a race. I also strongly believe we should focus on a savings/emergency fund before focusing on credit, or during at least. There may be other options but I still don't feel like $500 is a crazy amount for a secured card. That doesn't mean I make a ton of money either. I feel like $500 used to be a norm
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 26 of 29
Scupra
Super Contributor

The Navy secured card is also a nice way into an easy 2nd card with navy Smiley Very Happy
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 27 of 29
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

I applied 10/21; the day after I joined. I have a 685 currently; carrying ~37% utilization overall across all revolving accounts. A mortgage, a semi new personal loan (13k out of 20 remaining), a new car loan from May 43k remaining and 2  paid judements from 2012. Also ~9-12 inquiries depending on the report. I was instantly approved for Flagship @ 24k. it caught me off guard I was surprised. So I applied for NavChek @ 5k and was approved. (wasnt thinking at the time should have asked for all 15 and let it counter). 

NFCU Flagship - 24k; CapOne Venture - 12k; Chase Slate - 9k; Chase Sapphire - 7.5k; NFCU NavChek - 5k; Amex BCE - 6.5k; Discover IT - 6k; BarClays - 9k;
Message 28 of 29
mrldp40
Established Contributor

i think its a little steep also but they do have a secured loan 250 for 6 months according to csr

ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.