cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal - Offers and Credit Departments that I talk to... I don't get it!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Navy Federal - Offers and Credit Departments that I talk to... I don't get it!

Been with Navy since the move from USA to Navy... I had Secured Card for just over a year and I just recently paid off and closed a Joint Used Auto and Im AU on a $25k Visa.

I have never had any offers since opening and today I click it while I happened to be on the phone with a checking account person and I see offer for "Personal Line of Credit" but it doesn't say _pre-Approved or anything just listed under "My Offers"

The guy with my checking account says I see an auto loan offer too but I have to transfer you.

So I get transferred and this lady answers and she handles, auto, and personal loans.

She says Navy Does NOT do pre-approvals for cars or personal lines.  I'm now instantly so confused...

She says we do not do offers until we have HP your credit and at that point can offer an amount and APR.  They can't do pre-approvals because they can't pull credit.

I said well you ccould do SP and based on that do some kind of offer and she says no, that's illegal for us to SP or HP your credit.

UMM NO!  But then she clarified a bit to take out Credit Cards of rather they can or do... she doesn't work that department so she won't say.

But I feel I have seen many posts about cars and loans and lines of credit being Pre-Approved.

and my partner with the Visa up above I talk about being on, that was FOR SURE Pre-Approved and it came back instant Approved.

So basically is Credit Card different then the loans, is this really not a pre-approved at all? or is she wrong?

I don't understand why they would have the "My Offers' if they don't "DO' Pre-Approvals... clearly we can all locate all the different loan options we have we would not need it under a special category if as she says it's just suggesting a product we have for you.

Either way I just feel I have not ONCE outside of Checking questions, APPs, etc. had a nice rep and had a rep that seemed to be able to answer questions and to be able to be specific so that I don't end up wanting to correct them on what is illegal in credit!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Voodard
Contributor

Re: Navy Federal - Offers and Credit Departments that I talk to... I don't get it!

I purchased a vehicle with a NFCU loan about 9 years ago and it was piece of cake. I applied online, waited about 2 days for the decision and was approved. A few business days later a blank check arrived in the mail from NFCU that said something like, "Check valid for amounts up to $30,000.00." Then, I went shopping for a car. This could be the "pre-approval" folks are talking about on the forum. I still had to apply in the offer screen, still had to wait for a hard pull to be reviewed, then I was set.
TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 2 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Navy Federal - Offers and Credit Departments that I talk to... I don't get it!

My.experience was that under the offers tab it had a banner saying I.was pre.approved for cash rewards card. I applied and was approved for 22k. I got the banner after submitting my check stubs bank statements and investment account statements to nfcu for a.refinance I.was doing. They approved the refinance at 4.09% which saves me lots of $$$. If you see a banner under offers that interests you; go for it! If you want navcheck; which is their loc; just apply for it. Joey didn't even have a cc offer and he.was.approved.for.a.2500 platinum card which we had.increased to 4k before he.ever.got the.card in the mail
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 6
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

After I got declined for cash rewards over the phone, I logged into my account and saw the secured under my offers. It dissapeared a few days later. I then applied for a couple weeks after that.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

there was a member not too long ago talking about the pre approval offer in the offers tab for auto loan. actually ive seen several posts on pre approvals. they tend to favor those who have dd with them. as far as them not sp. ing your reports thats not true cause every now and then they will soft eq and i believe they did it to tu once.  if youve been with them that long you should have do problem getting a good auto or personal loan with them

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 5 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Its likely they SPs are done by nfcus system and CSRs have been trained that all credit pulls are illegal unless they have you.on the phone or you've given permission through an application. The training they receive is probably very specific to their software; they may not even be aware of what you see on your.dashboard when you log into your NFCU account. In short; they probably have no clue what you are talking about when you call in to talk to them. There may be a disconnect between the software that runs the web User login and the software that the csrs use. That's not uncommon in financial institutions.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.