mrslane713

Navy Federal = best decision I've made!

Long story short: I'm military, have horrible credit history due to wreckless spending and credit inquiry sprees. Recently my wife and I decided to trade in our jeep patriot. we had originally traded in a nissan armada and rolled over about 6k in neg. equity. to get the jeep. ended up rolling over 9k in neg. from the jeep to the new loan (2013 F150 XLT).

we first looked at a Chevy Sonic for 18.5k but couldn't get approved without $6000 downpayment due to the bank not wanting to finance more than 120% of the new purchase cost. that was when our salesman suggested a truck that had crazy amounts of rebates and discounts for military personnel that would basically eat up most of the negative equity.

told the salesman what we wanted to keep our payments at and he ran some numbers and got us within $40 of where we wanted. We ended up not going with that dealer but instead went to another dealership with quotes and explained our situation and they said that they could do even better with rebates and discounts to make our negative equity pretty much disappear to help us get out of the equity situation altogether. we ended up saying ok and they ran our credit and we were approved for a $40k loan with 6.5% interest rate through Navy Federal! (i know 6.5 is still really high but believe it or not it's one of the lowest rates we've ever had on an auto loan and it's almost double the financed amount of any other auto loan we've had)

So needless to say Navy Federal came through for us in the auto loan dept.

THEN....

We decided to apply for a credit card (goRewards Visa with my wife as an authorized user and not a co applicant) for balance transfer purposes because we had heard about their decent interest rates and amounts which meant we could transfer the balances and close our outrageously high rate cards.

BAM, approved. Highest interest rate i think they have at prime plus 13.74% but it's still our lowest interest rate card and one of our highest limit. Limit of $4500 :smileyhappy:

Also applied for the OD Line of Credit in case of emergencies and approved.

Navy Federal is definitely going to keep my business for years to come!

Established Contributor
shakalaka

Re: Navy Federal = best decision I've made!

Congrats, nice limit to start with

Amex Platinum (NPSL) | Amex BCE (33,400) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (24,800) | Discover IT (12,700) | Chase Freedom (6,300) | Walmart (4,500) | CapOne (4.000) | Alliant CU Visa | Gone for good: CapOne secured (thx for getting me started) | Amex Zync (thx for getting me into AX)

FICO: TU 758 (10/12) EQ 724 (10/22) EX 748 (12/5)

Frequent Contributor
wallyworld123

Congrats to you big time:smileyhappy: Welcome to the forum and welcome to the nfcu family

mrslane713

Thanks to both of you! Very excited that NFCU seems to be so good to their customers
Valued Contributor
Epcot

That's great, Congrats! :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 816 EX 780 TU 823
App free since 4/11/13
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

Congrats!!! Nfcu seems to be amazing w this stuff!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Regular Contributor
Bleety17

Congrats!! So jealous of NFCU members! Both my parents were honorably discharged so i dont qualify...:smileysad:

USAA Mastercard-$2000 USAA Visa-$2000 USAA SC-$300 NFCU-$12500 Walmart-$600 BestBuy $1000 Navcheck 3000

available credit- 2013 300 2014 21,400

2-4-14 Gardening
Regular Contributor
HindSight_20_20

Cool ! - Keep those cards working and 'never be late' - don't temp your limits and Navy will have you with 5 figure limits in no time!

Congrats!

________________________________________________________________________________________________
I’ve found that I can "charge" WHATEVER I want…. Just not all at THE SAME TIME!*Last CC App 07/2010*
Rambler88

First of all from one fellow bro in arms to another , Thank you for what have done and continue to. Also as with the other comments, congrats and welcome to NFCU family
New Contributor
Bigdaddy69

mrslane713 wrote:

Long story short: I'm military, have horrible credit history due to wreckless spending and credit inquiry sprees. Recently my wife and I decided to trade in our jeep patriot. we had originally traded in a nissan armada and rolled over about 6k in neg. equity. to get the jeep. ended up rolling over 9k in neg. from the jeep to the new loan (2013 F150 XLT).

we first looked at a Chevy Sonic for 18.5k but couldn't get approved without $6000 downpayment due to the bank not wanting to finance more than 120% of the new purchase cost. that was when our salesman suggested a truck that had crazy amounts of rebates and discounts for military personnel that would basically eat up most of the negative equity.

told the salesman what we wanted to keep our payments at and he ran some numbers and got us within $40 of where we wanted. We ended up not going with that dealer but instead went to another dealership with quotes and explained our situation and they said that they could do even better with rebates and discounts to make our negative equity pretty much disappear to help us get out of the equity situation altogether. we ended up saying ok and they ran our credit and we were approved for a $40k loan with 6.5% interest rate through Navy Federal! (i know 6.5 is still really high but believe it or not it's one of the lowest rates we've ever had on an auto loan and it's almost double the financed amount of any other auto loan we've had)

So needless to say Navy Federal came through for us in the auto loan dept.

THEN....

We decided to apply for a credit card (goRewards Visa with my wife as an authorized user and not a co applicant) for balance transfer purposes because we had heard about their decent interest rates and amounts which meant we could transfer the balances and close our outrageously high rate cards.

BAM, approved. Highest interest rate i think they have at prime plus 13.74% but it's still our lowest interest rate card and one of our highest limit. Limit of $4500 :smileyhappy:

Also applied for the OD Line of Credit in case of emergencies and approved.

Navy Federal is definitely going to keep my business for years to come!

@MRSlane713

If I may ask, what was your credit score at the time of approval?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}