Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal

tag
CaptainGreenThumb
Established Member

Navy Federal

Once upon a time I heard that Navy Federal Credit Union was a great credit card to have in your arsenal.
What is everyone's thoughts on this and why is NF held in such high regard?
Right now I only have a CapOne Quicksilver and a Discover It... should my next effort be for Navy Federal? or should I look elsewhere, such as Amex BCE or Chase Freedom/Sapphire(non-preferred)? There are no bad marks on my credit history.

NFCU NavCheck $15,000 NFCU Platinum $12,000 Discover It $7,500 CapOne Quicksilver MC $2000
Discover FICO: 780
Message 1 of 63
62 REPLIES 62
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Navy Federal

@CaptainGreenThumb wrote:

Once upon a time I heard that Navy Federal Credit Union was a great credit card to have in your arsenal.
What is everyone's thoughts on this and why is NF held in such high regard?
Right now I only have a CapOne Quicksilver and a Discover It... should my next effort be for Navy Federal? or should I look elsewhere, such as Amex BCE or Chase Freedom/Sapphire(non-preferred)? There are no bad marks on my credit history.

You qualify for membership?

if yes, hands down they should be next because of the HUGE credit lines!

Message 2 of 63
peepers
Frequent Contributor

I joined Tuesday (husband is National Guard) over the phone .......I also did my initial deposit over the phone during a second call. So far everything I am hearing about them customer service wise is true. Amazing! We are soured on USAA and I wanted to establish relationship prior to us applying to them for a VA home loan later this year. For giggles, after joining, I applied for the Cashback card. My scores per fico are 705 TU and 690s for the other 2. I got a $17,500 instant approval. Then Ive read after about 3-4 months, CLI requests are soft pull.
AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 3 of 63
baller4life
Super Contributor

Awesome starting limit!! Welcome to the NFCU family!
Message 4 of 63
peepers
Frequent Contributor

I forgot to add, I got a score watch alert and my score dropped 3 points due to the inquiry. However all my current cards are low limit rebuilders, the highest is $1750, and 3 others ranging from $500-900 limits. My balances total $2,000 so the 3 point ding is well worth what this will do for my utilization. my AAoA is like 9 years, so not sure how this new line will affect that yet. but because utilization is 30% of score, Im sure that will outweight the small decrease in AAoA

So the limits they offer are appealing if your utilization situation was like mine. 9.99% APR too!

Thanks baller!!  I couldnt be happier to be a member!

AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 5 of 63
Scupra
Super Contributor

Welcome to NFCU! That is an awesome starting limit! Congrats! I would apple for the ODLOC (NavChek) and ask for the full $15k, with an approval like that on your CC I highly doubt you would get turned down. Congrats again and keep us updated!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 63
peepers
Frequent Contributor

Ok I cant figure out how to quote your reply Scupra lol.  I apologize if I apprear to be hijacking OPs thread.   FWIW, OP everything Ive read and heard is Navy Federal is amazing for everything I guess.  If you qualify, join!  their interest rates are tasty too

Scupra....I will research, but what is this NavCheck thing?   I am only leery of applying because I dont know how 2 brand new lines would affect my AAoA.  And I have limited to 1 HP inquiry a year through rebuilding.  Im sort of afraid to have 2 HPs in 3 days........

Message 7 of 63
brianjb
Contributor

@peepers wrote:

Ok I cant figure out how to quote your reply Scupra lol.  I apologize if I apprear to be hijacking OPs thread.   FWIW, OP everything Ive read and heard is Navy Federal is amazing for everything I guess.  If you qualify, join!  their interest rates are tasty too

Scupra....I will research, but what is this NavCheck thing?   I am only leery of applying because I dont know how 2 brand new lines would affect my AAoA.  And I have limited to 1 HP inquiry a year through rebuilding.  Im sort of afraid to have 2 HPs in 3 days........

The NavCheck is a checking overdraft account.  It really isn't something that I find useful since the interest rate is high.  But it is nice to have for an option.  The bigegst benefit is that it shows as available credit on your report.  So if you're approved for $15K, it helps with your overall utilization.

If approved, then send you some checks to use.  So you can access the account to pay for purchases.

Another cool thing is that twice a year they offer balance transfer offers.  Right now it is 2.9% interest, with no transfer fees.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 8 of 63
CaptainGreenThumb
Established Member

So you all would recommend joining Navy Federal and opening a savings account in order to receive one of their credit cards?

NFCU NavCheck $15,000 NFCU Platinum $12,000 Discover It $7,500 CapOne Quicksilver MC $2000
Discover FICO: 780
Message 9 of 63
brianjb
Contributor

@CaptainGreenThumb wrote:

So you all would recommend joining Navy Federal and opening a savings account in order to receive one of their credit cards?

if you qualify then I'd open a checking and savings account.  Put $5 in each.  Then apply for credit card and navcheck

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 10 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.