Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal

tag
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal

@baller4life thanks I'll take a look into doing it from NFCU

@creditaddict my primary bank in Golden 1 CU. I've never used bill pay because I prefer to go the company site to pay directly. Which doesn't bother me as I log into my accounts on a weekly basis if not more.

Little OCD about my balances and the fact multiple family members have had id theft and/or cards stolen. Just helps me keep on top of things.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 31 of 63
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@JediNeo wrote:
@baller4life thanks I'll take a look into doing it from NFCU

@Creditaddict my primary bank in Golden 1 CU. I've never used bill pay because I prefer to go the company site to pay directly. Which doesn't bother me as I log into my accounts on a weekly basis if not more.

Little OCD about my balances and the fact multiple family members have had id theft and/or cards stolen. Just helps me keep on top of things.

Okay if you prefer this way then as the other poster said....

Click on the Tab "Transfers"

"Transfer Funds to/from another financial institution

Register an External Account.

Not sure this is instant, they might do 2 small test deposits from external account but you can see what it says when you link... then once it's set up you will just log in to transfers again and choose a one-time transfer and it will allow you to select your outside account to transfer directly to your navy savings or credit card.  Since Navy is pulling the money there should be no fee from your other bank for doing the transfer.

Message 32 of 63
baller4life
Super Contributor

Can't transfer to a savings account from outside bank. Which I think SUCKS!! Only to checkings or to pay your credit card.
Message 33 of 63
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

If I can transfer directly to the rewards card, I'll be ok with that. I'll look into both methods though amd see which I prefer. Thank you both for your assistance.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 34 of 63
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

There is one drawback for all NFCU credit cards: you cannot use any external checking account(s) to set up an autopay for any of your NFCU CCs. Smiley Indifferent

Message 35 of 63
brianjb
Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

There is one drawback for all NFCU credit cards: you cannot use any external checking account(s) to set up an autopay for any of your NFCU CCs. Smiley Indifferent

Yeah I noticed that also.  What I'm going to do is set up auto pay from my external account to pay a certain amount twice a month.

that is one annoying feature.  I like to have autopay on all credit cards to pay the minimum.  Then I can pay more manually twice a month on paydays.

i like to autopay the minimum so I don't need to worry about late pays.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 36 of 63
CaptainGreenThumb
Established Member

So you cannot set up an auto pay from an external checking acount? But I assume you can set up a direct deposit to a NFCU checking account and set up the auto pay internally?

NFCU NavCheck $15,000 NFCU Platinum $12,000 Discover It $7,500 CapOne Quicksilver MC $2000
Discover FICO: 780
Message 37 of 63
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@CaptainGreenThumb wrote:

So you cannot set up an auto pay from an external checking acount? But I assume you can set up a direct deposit to a NFCU checking account and set up the auto pay internally?

Yes, that's what I am doing.

Message 38 of 63
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

The only thing you are required to open is a savings account. If you want the Navcheck line of credit, you will need a checking account but the checking account and savings accounts are free and will always be free. You don't even have to get debit cards if you don't want to. What I would do is open a savings and/or checking account(if you want the LOC). Use NFCU as a savings bank and credit card bank if you can't use them full time. They have a CD right now that offers 3% for a year.

@CaptainGreenThumb wrote:

Is that an outrageous thought? I apologize, I am new to all of this so I appreciate all helpful tips/pointers that are offered.

I just have a few reservations about opening checkings and savings accounts with the sole purpose of obtaining credit accounts with huge credit limits... althought it does sound like I would be silly not to do this....

Message 39 of 63
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@JediNeo wrote:

My first statement for my cash rewards card just cut. How you pay the bill? I only have a savings account open. So far as I can tell I'll have to make a deposit into savings, wait for it to clear, then pay the bill. Seems like a long process. Is there a way to pay using another CU account?

There are several ways. You can set up billpay through your bank, set up an external checking account with NFCU so they can have it on file when you want to pay, send a check. The most indirect way would be to put it in the savings and then transfer it. Just set up your external checking/routing number with them and you can pay it online for free OR use billpay at your bank.

Message 40 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.