Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy suggestions??

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Navy suggestions??

So with the new information circulating around here where honorably discharged military 

personnel now qualify for membership, I'm looking forward to establish a relationship with

Navy.

I need a CC to transfer some balances to.  I would like at least 10k starting limit.  I realize that

UW criteria must be met, however, my question is this:

Is there a particular credit card product that has easier UW criteria vs some of ther other credit

card products?  

I know that often times different credit cards have stricter or looser UW standards.  So some of

you veteran Navy (no pun intended) members with more experience, plesae help guide me

to the world of Navy Credit Card products!

TIA!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy suggestions??

I was approved for a Flagship with a 660 at 13.3k / 15.24% APR, DW was approved for $2000 with her 730 (at the time) 13% APR.

Easier to get I would assume would be CashRewards, Nrewards. If you get the 10k you're asking for really depends on your Credit file
Message 2 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

Why wait? There is a way for anyone to become a member now. There is even 2.9 BT special
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I have heard, all of their cards have the same criteria. If you qualify for one, you qualify for all with the same limits. Except that the Flagship card is a Signature, requiring a minimum of $5000 credit limit.

Message 4 of 9
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I have heard, all of their cards have the same criteria. If you qualify for one, you qualify for all with the same limits. Except that the Flagship card is a Signature, requiring a minimum of $5000 credit limit.

So theoretically, I could apply for the flagship in hopes of getting at least 5k if approved...

I need 10k, but 5k would definitely help. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 5 of 9
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Scupra wrote:
Why wait? There is a way for anyone to become a member now. There is even 2.9 BT special

What is this you speak of?

Thanks for the info!

Message 6 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

This ^^^.  Smiley Happy

If NFCU cards didn't have the same criteria, it wouldn't make sense for them to allow you to freely PC from one type to another with only an APR adjustment to reflect the rewards (or lack thereof) for the new card type.  Smiley Wink

In my case, I wanted the absolute lowest APR so I went for the no-rewards 'Platinum'... you can get it in either MasterCard or Visa (for those who have a preference).  

The only time it could matter is if somebody is possibly 'borderline'; in that case I would recommend them not going for the Flagship (due the above mentioned $5k minimum SL) but otherwise it shouldn't matter.  

Message 7 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So theoretically, I could apply for the flagship in hopes of getting at least 5k if approved...

I need 10k, but 5k would definitely help. 

Applying for the Flagship won't get you to $5k any easier than applying for one of their other products... the only difference is that if you don't qualify for $5k you would be declined if you applied for the Flagship, while you would still get approved for one of the others.

In any case, if the rewards (and AF) on the Flagship are a good match for you, then definitely go for it.  

Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

What is this you speak of?

Thanks for the info!

https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/cards/creditcards/balance-transfers.php?intcmp=hp%7Cco...

It's for both new and existing cardholders.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.