Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,662
Registered: ‎09-26-2011
0

Nearly one year in the garden...

08 August of 12, I refinanced DW's car. 

 

That was my last app.

 

I'm almost certainly going to leave the garden next month...refi MY car?  New CC? 

 

My util is still pretty high (54.06% overall), but I have ZERO accounts maxed out...still waiting for a few statements to cut so that the CRA's know that...

 

After some family upheavel over the last few weeks, I am STRONGLY considering Barclay's Best Western Rewards card...after two nights, you get a free one and I have spent more than three nights at Best Western in the last three weeks...the next three weeks look calmer so far, but my phone could ring at any second.

 

TU and EX are both spotless and in the high 600's, EQ still has some inaccurate information that I'm having a devil of a time getting fixed...low to mid 600's.  No REAL baddies on any of them, no lates ever.

 

Any particular cards that I should look at or avoid?



Current Scores: EX 671 (FCR) TU08: 649 Wally. 03/02/2015.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Epic Contributor
Posts: 23,278
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Nearly one year in the garden...

Who do you currently have and limits vs balance?

Fico Scores: EQ- 668 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (2/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,662
Registered: ‎09-26-2011
0

Re: Nearly one year in the garden...

That'll take more time than I have...I've got 43 active TL's.

 

Credit one, Capital one (times 5), Cortrust Bank, Merrick Bank (x2), Blaze Mastercard, Nationwide Bank, HSBC Direct Rewards, Kay Jewelers, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Macy's, Walmart (x2), Firestone, Dell, Victoria Secret, Paypal, Credit Union, Banana Republic, Amazon, Kohls, JCPenney.

 

$29,028.16 balance / $53,700.00 credit line = 54.06 % util.



Current Scores: EX 671 (FCR) TU08: 649 Wally. 03/02/2015.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Epic Contributor
Posts: 23,278
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Nearly one year in the garden...


tcbofade wrote:

That'll take more time than I have...I've got 43 active TL's.

 

Credit one, Capital one (times 5), Cortrust Bank, Merrick Bank (x2), Blaze Mastercard, Nationwide Bank, HSBC Direct Rewards, Kay Jewelers, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Macy's, Walmart (x2), Firestone, Dell, Victoria Secret, Paypal, Credit Union, Banana Republic, Amazon, Kohls, JCPenney.

 

$29,028.16 balance / $53,700.00 credit line = 54.06 % util.


looking at that list of cards, you are paying a LOT in interest I have a feeling... consolidate!!!

I would work towards getting rid of these high fee cards:

Credit One

Consolidate or EO all the Cap1 about removing AF, adding rewards, and CLI - all via a SP

Close cortrust

Merrick x2

Blaze I only imagine to be bad

direct rewards as far as I know was a card that was not able to CLI and has fees..

you have tons of GE... those you can CLI via sp online every 4 statements and also over phone manual review via sp through credit solutions

 

Now I understand at 54% util. you don't want to close available credit, that's why i say look to consolidate and then close when you replace the CL's... you are wasting a lot of money that could pay debt down!

Fico Scores: EQ- 668 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (2/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,662
Registered: ‎09-26-2011
0

Re: Nearly one year in the garden...

Thank you, I agree on all counts.

 

(Blaze Mastercard is roughly the equivilant of Cortrust Bank...)

 

Consolidate balances and eliminate interest and fees.  Gotcha.  I agree again.

 

How?

 

My thoughts were to open a zero percent balance transfer card, transfer balances and close the more expensive credit lines...

 

In my experience and the lessons provided on myfico.com, those "prime" zero percent transfer cards are not an option for me...mostly due to number of inquires and high utilization...as I posted at the beginning of the thread, I am 11 and a half months app free, those inquiries are falling off quickly...yay!  Utilization is still too high and I'm nearly certain that I'll still be denied for the "better cards" and I certainly don't want to WASTE inquiries...



Current Scores: EX 671 (FCR) TU08: 649 Wally. 03/02/2015.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Epic Contributor
Posts: 23,278
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Nearly one year in the garden...


tcbofade wrote:

Thank you, I agree on all counts.

 

(Blaze Mastercard is roughly the equivilant of Cortrust Bank...)

 

Consolidate balances and eliminate interest and fees.  Gotcha.  I agree again.

 

How?

 

My thoughts were to open a zero percent balance transfer card, transfer balances and close the more expensive credit lines...

 

In my experience and the lessons provided on myfico.com, those "prime" zero percent transfer cards are not an option for me...mostly due to number of inquires and high utilization...as I posted at the beginning of the thread, I am 11 and a half months app free, those inquiries are falling off quickly...yay!  Utilization is still too high and I'm nearly certain that I'll still be denied for the "better cards" and I certainly don't want to WASTE inquiries...


okay lets ignore the ones I talk about closing and store cards for a minute.

What are your limits and balances on the "good" cards?

Capital One x5

Nationwide

you have any others?

Fico Scores: EQ- 668 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (2/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,662
Registered: ‎09-26-2011
0

Re: Nearly one year in the garden...

Oops.  Cap One times seven.  (I forgot that I'm a joint account holder on DW's Cap One cards...)

 

Cap One:

 

527/600

709/800

649/750

641/750

658/750

415/500

550/750

 

Nationwide:

 

1945/2250

 

Credit Union:

 

1781/2000

 

The Nationwide card and the Credit Union card are the only two that I would consider "good".

 

 



Current Scores: EX 671 (FCR) TU08: 649 Wally. 03/02/2015.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Epic Contributor
Posts: 23,278
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Nearly one year in the garden...


tcbofade wrote:

Oops.  Cap One times seven.  (I forgot that I'm a joint account holder on DW's Cap One cards...)

 

Cap One:

 

527/600

709/800

649/750

641/750

658/750

415/500

550/750

 

Nationwide:

 

1945/2250

 

Credit Union:

 

1781/2000

 

The Nationwide card and the Credit Union card are the only two that I would consider "good".

 

 


would you do me a favor and run the pre-qual at lendingclub.com - it's a SP and it's INSTANT.... run it for a full $30k just to see.

i know you are trying ot wait for all the INQ and what not to drop off... but if you end up finding they are not a terrible option, you can get it reset to re-run another SP next month after all inq's have dropped to get a hopefully lower rate... but im interested to see if they will offer something now and what rate they offer it at.

Fico Scores: EQ- 668 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (2/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 330
Registered: ‎01-16-2013
0

Re: Nearly one year in the garden...

Honestly (and you don't want to hear this I am sure), I would forget opening new lines of credit for the time being, and just concentrate on paying down what you have on the cards already. While none of your cards are "maxed" right now, the Capital One cards you listed are all in the high 80's percentage wise, which isn't good (and makes those cards essentially worthless, as any more spending will make them "maxed out"). After paying down the balances on those Capital One cards for instance, I would try and consolidate those CL into 1-2 cards, which will show banks that you have a some higher limits for when you do start applying again (Inqs. age over 1 year, balances down should lead to a nice CS bump).


Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 702, myFICO TU: 699, myFICO EX: 787
My Wallet: Chase Freedom, Discover It, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/19/13
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,662
Registered: ‎09-26-2011
0

Re: Nearly one year in the garden...


Creditaddict wrote:

tcbofade wrote:

Oops.  Cap One times seven.  (I forgot that I'm a joint account holder on DW's Cap One cards...)

 

Cap One:

 

527/600

709/800

649/750

641/750

658/750

415/500

550/750

 

Nationwide:

 

1945/2250

 

Credit Union:

 

1781/2000

 

The Nationwide card and the Credit Union card are the only two that I would consider "good".

 

 


would you do me a favor and run the pre-qual at lendingclub.com - it's a SP and it's INSTANT.... run it for a full $30k just to see.

i know you are trying ot wait for all the INQ and what not to drop off... but if you end up finding they are not a terrible option, you can get it reset to re-run another SP next month after all inq's have dropped to get a hopefully lower rate... but im interested to see if they will offer something now and what rate they offer it at.


After carefully reviewing your application, we are sorry to advise you that we cannot approve your loan request for the following reasons:

 

     Excessive obligations in relation to income.

 

Your credit Score: 678

Date of Credit report Pull: Saturday, Jul 20, 2013



Current Scores: EX 671 (FCR) TU08: 649 Wally. 03/02/2015.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.