Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need A New Credit Card Fix lol

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need A New Credit Card Fix lol

Applying an getting approved for new credit is so addictive i need a fix bad i haven't applied for anything in the last 2 months which i don't need to apply for anything cause i have applied for about every major bank this past year. I just need to let my new accounts age an chill lol.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need A New Credit Card Fix lol

Why do you 'need a fix'?  What does getting many ccs do for you?  CCs help my utilization, but I don't really 'need a fix' or get a high out of applying for them.  I did that when I was younger + dumber + it led to a mess + stress.  BEFORE I app for any cc these days, I think long + hard.

IMO, short term thrill of new cc does not outweigh the long term goal of higher ficos, higher cls, etc. for me.  It’s not always easy not applying (haven’t applied since aug-sep myself), but knowing that NOT applying now WILL pay off in the long run is what keeps me motivated.  Applying + taking every cc under the sun just b/c I could is part of what led to my credit problems in the first place.  Nowadays I ask if I really NEED a new cc or if I just WANT a new cc.  More often than not, the answer is I do NOT need a cc right this minute + I’ll be MUCH better waiting for another 3-9 mos. before applying (that’s when more of my accts hit the 1-3 yr mark).  I also focus on my long-term financial goals- saving $$$, need a new (used) car ASAP (mine’s RIP), etc.  I also do NOT read the ‘yay, got approved for yet another cc’ threads.  Nothing wrong w/those, but I’d rather resist the temptation.  Applying now would just DELAY me hitting the 700 club.

Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I LOVE getting approved!

but I have been more selective lately myself after my round of denials. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditreformer wrote:

Why do you 'need a fix'?  What does getting many ccs do for you?  CCs help my utilization, but I don't really 'need a fix' or get a high out of applying for them.  I did that when I was younger + dumber + it led to a mess + stress.  BEFORE I app for any cc these days, I think long + hard.

IMO, short term thrill of new cc does not outweigh the long term goal of higher ficos, higher cls, etc. for me.  It’s not always easy not applying (haven’t applied since aug-sep myself), but knowing that NOT applying now WILL pay off in the long run is what keeps me motivated.  Applying + taking every cc under the sun just b/c I could is part of what led to my credit problems in the first place.  Nowadays I ask if I really NEED a new cc or if I just WANT a new cc.  More often than not, the answer is I do NOT need a cc right this minute + I’ll be MUCH better waiting for another 3-9 mos. before applying (that’s when more of my accts hit the 1-3 yr mark).  I also focus on my long-term financial goals- saving $$$, need a new (used) car ASAP (mine’s RIP), etc.  I also do NOT read the ‘yay, got approved for yet another cc’ threads.  Nothing wrong w/those, but I’d rather resist the temptation.  Applying now would just DELAY me hitting the 700 club.

It's more like a want then i really need. Believe me i'm done for a min it's just still temping at times. I'm not all that caught up in scores any more my only concern is just having good payment history with my current accounts.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

I LOVE getting approved!

but I have been more selective lately myself after my round of denials. 

Yeah the approvals are a good feeling but i think i just need to slow it down an chill for a min i don't wanna make current creditors nervous an get a fat CLD.

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 02-15-2009 09:30 PM
Message 5 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I know the feeling of being addicted to apply for new card. I have been through it. Now I weigh between getting the new card and reaching into 700 club. I like the idea of joining 700 club more so I keep resisting my urge to apply. I know it is so tempting the need to apply for new card and getting it approved.
Message 6 of 9
oracles
Valued Contributor

What i do, is to have a goal.

I want a Penfed card or hit the 800 club.

Therefore this keeps me in check of not applying for just any credit card.

I still have not made up my mind as to getting the Penfed or achieving the 800 club but either way it does stop me.

Message 7 of 9
first48
Frequent Contributor

I know how it feels to be app happy.  My last app was in 12/08 for a home depot card in which I was denied.  Anyway, I have enough for now and I will just garden because it is almost house time.
2/01/09 TU 678 EQ 690 EX 655
06/12/2014 EQ 634/ TU 623/ EX 618
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also definetely understood, the thrill of being approved for new cards. When I hit 700 on experian, I went on an app spree that lead to me having more than 15 new accounts in 2008, but it also lead to to several denials because I started looking risky to some banks. I eventually decided , that I want to focus on letting my score go higher and credit gardening. Luckily for me a majority of those new accounts will hit the one year mark in a few months, and when that happens I should have 700 scores across the board.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.