Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice...AMEX...Plat, Platinum Skymiles, Delta Reserve

tag
cd73
Established Member

Need Advice...AMEX...Plat, Platinum Skymiles, Delta Reserve

So,, after roughly 18 years in AMEX's bad graces, I finally had randomly apped for a Platinum Skymiles and was shockingly approved....so after a few days of wondering what got me out of their good graces, I just got to wondering if they would approve me for a Platinum charge....the suspense was killing me so I just decided to blow an inquiry and just see.....well amazingly, I got approved for that as well.....now is where my dilemma begins...

Do I keep both cards?  Should I just go with 1....which one?  and finally, should I just ask for a product change for the Platinum to the Delta reserve and forget the Plat Charge and Platinum skymiles???  I guess I am not clear on the benefits of one vs the other...and the last thing I want to do is keep an AF especially of $450 if I wont benefit from it...Are membership rewards better than just skymiles...

I travel roughly 60-80,000 miles a year, I am consistently Gold Skymiles member through miles, occasionally Platinum.   Through my job I usually use a Corporate AMEX for my travel expenses but certainly can go with a personal card just as easy for all but Flights....

Anyone have any guidance on which way I should lean?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Advice...AMEX...Plat, Platinum Skymiles, Delta Reserve

Based on my experiences, Amex will not allow you to do a product change. You have to submit a new application all over again, and close the card out that you no longer want.

I have the Platinum Skymiles card, but I'm a frequent Delta flyer. I spend enough on the card to where I'm able to earn about 3-4 free trips per year. In this sense, the annual fee I have to pay is worth it.

I personally don't think any card with a 400+ annual fee is worth it, but that is only my opinion and everyone's circumstances are different. If you want a charge card product, the Green or Gold have lower fees.

I l alsoike the membership rewards program, and I've gotten alot out of it in my years as a cardmember. It's really a matter of personal preference.

Message 2 of 3
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Need Advice...AMEX...Plat, Platinum Skymiles, Delta Reserve

@cd73 wrote:

So,, after roughly 18 years in AMEX's bad graces, I finally had randomly apped for a Platinum Skymiles and was shockingly approved....so after a few days of wondering what got me out of their good graces, I just got to wondering if they would approve me for a Platinum charge....the suspense was killing me so I just decided to blow an inquiry and just see.....well amazingly, I got approved for that as well.....now is where my dilemma begins...

Do I keep both cards?  Should I just go with 1....which one?  and finally, should I just ask for a product change for the Platinum to the Delta reserve and forget the Plat Charge and Platinum skymiles???  I guess I am not clear on the benefits of one vs the other...and the last thing I want to do is keep an AF especially of $450 if I wont benefit from it...Are membership rewards better than just skymiles...

I travel roughly 60-80,000 miles a year, I am consistently Gold Skymiles member through miles, occasionally Platinum.   Through my job I usually use a Corporate AMEX for my travel expenses but certainly can go with a personal card just as easy for all but Flights....

Anyone have any guidance on which way I should lean?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Congratulations on the approvals!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.