cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice: Keep or Let die on the vine?

tag
ltspongebob
Valued Member

Need Advice: Keep or Let die on the vine?

I have a Merrick Platinum Visa that was transferred from a Geico MC back in 2007.  It has the same $6500 CL that it had as the Geico card and I don't have any monthly fees or AFs like most other Merrick cards have.  It has a zero balance, and no rewards or incentives to use.  I've only kept it around (use every 3-4 months) becuase of the free credit score.  

With the proliferation of my other prime cards that have free scores, I don't feel the need to keep using it.  Since is doesn't have a AF, I'm tempted to just stop using it all together and let them cancel it for non-activity.  The days of having low scores and not being able to get prime cards are behind me so it has no use other than to pad my util, which the $6500 doesn't at much.  I'm currently at 5% util and PIF every month on all cards; the loss of the $6500 will be only 5% of total credit...

Advice?

Thanks!

FICO '08=764
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Advice: Keep or Let die on the vine?

@ltspongebob wrote:

I have a Merrick Platinum Visa that was transferred from a Geico MC back in 2007.  It has the same $6500 CL that it had as the Geico card and I don't have any monthly fees or AFs like most other Merrick cards have.  It has a zero balance, and no rewards or incentives to use.  I've only kept it around (use every 3-4 months) becuase of the free credit score.  

With the proliferation of my other prime cards that have free scores, I don't feel the need to keep using it.  Since is doesn't have a AF, I'm tempted to just stop using it all together and let them cancel it for non-activity.  The days of having low scores and not being able to get prime cards are behind me so it has no use other than to pad my util, which the $6500 doesn't at much.  I'm currently at 5% util and PIF every month on all cards; the loss of the $6500 will be only 5% of total credit...

Advice?

Thanks!

Since it has no AF, there's no harm in keeping it, but with your utilization and your other higher CL cards, you don't need it. Get rid of it if it bothers you. Might feel nice to get rid of that card now that you have much better ones, but if it doesn't bother you, an extra few months of reporting can't hurt. If you want to keep it for longer, just make a purchase every month or so.

Message 2 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

FICO doesn't care if an account was "Closed by Consumer" or "Closed by Lender," so there's no advantage in terms of score.   Some feel that the prior looks better under manual review.   However, it would also be easy for an analyst to determine that inactivity led to the closure.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let it die on the vine.
Message 4 of 6
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

I wonder how long of inactivity they would close it for....

I read barclay terms and conditions they say 6 months or they will close it (not sure if the do) 

I try to use all cards once a year.... just keep them active... buy a pack of gum or call and ask to upgrade the card

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before you close it can you ask them if they'll transfer the credit line to my Merrick card?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.