Valued Contributor
beb86

Re: Need Advice Please!

pcw123 wrote:

I have been reading this board on and off for a few months. I have about 15 credit lines.  5 are paid off in full, but I'm carrying balances on the others -- some of them pretty close to the credit limits.  Here is my dilemma: My scores are in the mid-600's due to high utilization on some accounts and probably student loan balances.

I am actually a bankruptcy lawyer.  My salary is around $100K and I have some money that I could use to pay off most of the credit card balances.  I will be applying for a business/personal loan in February or March 2013 to expand a business that my fiancee and I have.  The business has been very successful thus far.  I want to get the best rate possible on the loan or potentially put some of the business expenses on credit cards.  I would also like for my credit limits to increase.  How should I proceed with the following cards?  Also, which of the following cards do I have the best chance for a CLI once they are paid off and how long should I wait to ask?  Also, which cards could I potentially apply/qualify for with decent limits once most of these have been paid off?  Thanks for any and all help!

Bank of America w/balance of $4.8K and $5K limit.

Bank of America w/balance of $4.9K and $5K limit.

Capital One w/balance of $1.4K and $1.5K limit.

Wells Fargo w/balance of $1.4K and $1.5K limit.

Walmart w/balance of $400 and $500 limit.

Dell w/balance of $2K and $3K limit

CFNA w/balance of $1K and $2.2K limit

Lowe's w/balance of $2.7K and $3K limit

Bill Me Later w/balance of $400 and $500 limit

Citi (Closed Account) w/balance of $2K

NO BALANCES ON THE BELOW CARDS

Jared w/balance of $0 and $7.6K limit.

Capital One w/balance of $0 and $500 limit.

Shell w/balance of $0 and $200 limit

Gap w/balance of $0 and $200 limit

Express w/balance of $0 and $1,640 limit

My advice is pay these balances off or at least wayyyyy down.. Especially looking to expand your business. Not a personal knock on you but when people ride balances like this that are dangerously close to the CL its puts a lot of people a job loss or catastrophic event away from possibly close to bankruptcy...I just saw the irony about that and had to make a comment..

Best of luck!!! 

ccpics2.jpg
pcw123

Re: Need Advice Please!

beb86 wrote:

pcw123 wrote:

I have been reading this board on and off for a few months. I have about 15 credit lines.  5 are paid off in full, but I'm carrying balances on the others -- some of them pretty close to the credit limits.  Here is my dilemma: My scores are in the mid-600's due to high utilization on some accounts and probably student loan balances.

I am actually a bankruptcy lawyer.  My salary is around $100K and I have some money that I could use to pay off most of the credit card balances.  I will be applying for a business/personal loan in February or March 2013 to expand a business that my fiancee and I have.  The business has been very successful thus far.  I want to get the best rate possible on the loan or potentially put some of the business expenses on credit cards.  I would also like for my credit limits to increase.  How should I proceed with the following cards?  Also, which of the following cards do I have the best chance for a CLI once they are paid off and how long should I wait to ask?  Also, which cards could I potentially apply/qualify for with decent limits once most of these have been paid off?  Thanks for any and all help!

Bank of America w/balance of $4.8K and $5K limit.

Bank of America w/balance of $4.9K and $5K limit.

Capital One w/balance of $1.4K and $1.5K limit.

Wells Fargo w/balance of $1.4K and $1.5K limit.

Walmart w/balance of $400 and $500 limit.

Dell w/balance of $2K and $3K limit

CFNA w/balance of $1K and $2.2K limit

Lowe's w/balance of $2.7K and $3K limit

Bill Me Later w/balance of $400 and $500 limit

Citi (Closed Account) w/balance of $2K

NO BALANCES ON THE BELOW CARDS

Jared w/balance of $0 and $7.6K limit.

Capital One w/balance of $0 and $500 limit.

Shell w/balance of $0 and $200 limit

Gap w/balance of $0 and $200 limit

Express w/balance of $0 and $1,640 limit

My advice is pay these balances off or at least wayyyyy down.. Especially looking to expand your business. Not a personal knock on you but when people ride balances like this that are dangerously close to the CL its puts a lot of people a job loss or catastrophic event away from possibly close to bankruptcy...I just saw the irony about that and had to make a comment..

Best of luck!!! 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've got enough liquid cash to pay the balances off.  I've just been comfortable with the balances for too long.  I should have paid them down sooner.

As an aside, the business that we're expanding is completely separate from my employment as a bankruptcy attorney.  The business is small (no employees), but it is generating about $55k per year in addition to my salary.  Things are going really well.  I just need to get my scores up, and I appreciate all the advice.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}