Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice about closing oldest account

tag
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: Need Advice about closing oldest account

@Anonymous wrote:
Not to hijack this thread, but does the oldest account have significantly more bearing than 2nd oldest? I have a circa 2006 card that I'm itching to get rid of, and my oldest card is 2005. I'm fine with keeping the 2005 card but want to get rid of the 2006...

No real reason not to ditch the 2006 card.  It will continue to age for another decade and when it drops will likely have little effect on your score (if any).

You do want to keep that 2005 card alive, though, because the age portion of FICO scores is not just AAoA, but also "oldest tradeline".  So the 2005 is not only adding a decade to your average, but also to your history as a whole.  And there's no way to add an "oldest" tradeline.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Advice about closing oldest account

Since it's a Comenity card, I would close it on general principles... but that's just me. Smiley Very Happy I'm having trouble believing that closing a store card is going to seriously hurt your score. I've closed two Comenity cards this year (fullbeauty.com, overstock.com) with no effect on my score. (Added: I should note that I apped for another card to make up the lost utilization on the Overstock card.)

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.