Need Advice for Golden 1 VISA Platinum Card

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Need Advice for Golden 1 VISA Platinum Card

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:
OP, I'm sure your DC is reporting by now. Mine reported the day after Iapoed for it.

Did your CL and everything show up too?  I applied 2 weeks ago and I see the inquiries from Citi as OP does, but I haven't seen a newly opened account yet.

I understand that new revolving accounts don't show up on your credit report until your statement date arrives, the time they report your utilization.

OP, I'm sorry Golden 1 wasn't agreeable with your application.  At least now you know what they want to see for an approval.  Smiley Sad

Perhaps they won't be as concerned with open accounts once they age a bit?

(Just a side-note... most Synchrony cards (the ones I have, anyway) seem to report rather quickly - usually just a few days after the approval, definitely not upon the first statement drop.  I'm not sure how common this is with other lenders, though.)

Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes small credit unions require your pay stubs and or your tax returns for the last 2 years! They could also require you to become a member and open a checking or savings account before you can apply for a credit card. Good luck!

Message 22 of 23
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They declined my application due to too many recent opened loans (credit cards which are listed in the signature). While I tried to recon (first time ever) I tried the, "I used each of these credit cards for different purposes, one for gas, another for groceries and another for dinning." They didn't buy it. I had to try than not. Well, nothing bothersome, just a deduction of 3 points which I have been losing for each inquiry.

Sorry to hear about the decline.

I applied online on January 3, opened the membership and basic savings account on-line, then did the CC app, which was declined. Reasons would be high balances and I do not think INQ, of which I only had 3 EQ at the time, Sept Oct and Dec of 2014.

So I left it at the savings account.

Then I got a call a few weeks later from a nice lady at Golden1 following up. I don't recall the specifics of the reason she called, but the subject of the CC app came up, and she conveyed: "Oh, yeah, they like to see 6 months of history before approving a credit card. I can set up the free checking account if you like?" So, ok, let's do that.

So I rerouted many of my credit card payments to draw from the Golden1 Checking, then set up the ability to ACH transfer from my other checking accounts where portions of direct deposit already go, so I can fund it ahead, and am using their Checking account as a conduit to show funds flows on the off chance I decide to apply for this card. I'm well past the 6 months, but the allure of the 3% is not so strong now given the sign up bonuses I'm trying to cover.

But I have my ducks in a row now if I do want to app for it, and it is indeed an excellent all around card to have.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.