Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice on Best Travel Card Strategies

tag
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Re: Need Advice on Best Travel Card Strategies

I have a similar mount of travel spend.  With that much spend, spreading it out a little doesn't hurt.

I think the CSR would be the best bet overall.  How long until you're out of 5/24?  Have you checked for in branch prequal?

All the advice below is assuming the CSR isn't an option

Flights

I use Citi AA for all American Airline flights (3X points plus AA perks) - agree with this

I use Delta Plat for all Delta Flights (mostly for perks) - you don't need to use the card for the perks, 2x miles for airfare isn't worthwhile due to the low value of skymiles IMO (and I fly Delta almost exclusively)  But I'm not sure outside of the CSR, what would be a bettter card

I fly Southwest Frequently, but I can’t get in with Chase right now (5/24 and possible blacklist) - I beleive Southwest is excluded from 5/24.  I think this is a really good card if you fly Southwest at least semi frequently.  Perks like companion pass and low point redemption's and an expanding footprint

It seems as though my best bet for all airlines (other than AA and Delta) would be Penfed at 5X points - it looks pretty good, if you want cashback  vs. miles

Hotels

What is my best option for Marriott? - Ritz, definitely, excluded from 5/24

Car Rental

I generally use Amex Platinum because of the perks with National and Avis - Don't need to use the card to get the perks.  I suggest the Ritz for primary rental coverage.  Not having my boss tease me for the next 10 yrs about a rental insurance claim is totally worth it to me.  Another option if you want cash back is US Bank Cash +, it has been a constant category for 5% cb

Message 11 of 13
redpat
Senior Contributor

Book all flights w/ PRG 3x alirline.  Book Marriott stays w/ your EDP 1.50x w/ redemption rate of 1.50 on MR is 2.25% and its reimbursed anyway. If you can stick w/ delta try to stick w/ one airline plus w/ delta Amex plat gives you sky mile lounge access.  

Since you have PRG, EDP and Plat it looks like MR point program is the best program for you until you can get into chase.  Try to drive as many MR points you can though all your business reimbursements they are free points to you.

For all personal spend I suggest EDP and PRG.  I never used my venture card after getting my EDP and closed it.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 12 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.