cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advise Please: What is a good inventory of Credit Cards and Loans to maximize your FICO Score

tag
Dino76
Established Member

Need Advise Please: What is a good inventory of Credit Cards and Loans to maximize your FICO Score

I have the following:

Credit Cards: All below 10% balances

1 Master Card: Credit Limit:  15,000

1 Visa Card:  Credit Limit: 8,000

1 Department Store Card:  Military Star Card (like JC Penny) / Credit Line: 8,000

1 LOWES Card:  Credit Limit 8,000

Loans:

Bank Loan:  Nissian Car / 35,000

Ashley Furniture: (Wells Fargo Bank) Department Store Card: Credit Limit 7,000 / Balance 4,000. 

GE Money Department Card:  Credit Limit: 5,000, balance 2,000

Note:  Once Ashely and GE is paid off.  Account is closed.  Not a revolving account.

Should I apply for a Gas Card (Exxon or Shell)  Would it help my score, not because of additional avaliable credit, but a different type of Card

Should I apply for additoinal cards, like SEARS

Looking to find ways to increase my score.  I know, almost zero balances on all cards, and Late charges coming off within a year.  Trying to max my FICO Score in any way

Or shoud I stay put with what I got.

BTW, I do not have a home mortage loan.. 3 late charges that are 6 years old (Military Star Card Only). Feb 2013, they are gone..

Thanks for reading and looking forward to great advise.

Have a great day.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Need Advise Please: What is a good inventory of Credit Cards and Loans to maximize your FICO Sc

@Dino76 wrote:

I have the following:

1 Department Store Card:  Military Star Card (like JC Penny) / Credit Line: 8,000

Loans:

Ashley Furniture: (Wells Fargo Bank) Department Store Card: Credit Limit 7,000 / Balance 4,000. 

Note:  Once Ashely and GE is paid off.  Account is closed.  Not a revolving account.

Should I apply for a Gas Card (Exxon or Shell)  Would it help my score, not because of additional avaliable credit, but a different type of Card

Looking to find ways to increase my score.  I know, almost zero balances on all cards, and Late charges coming off within a year.  Trying to max my FICO Score in any way

BTW, I do not have a home mortage loan.. 3 late charges that are 6 years old (Military Star Card Only). Feb 2013, they are gone..

Have a great day.

If the only negatives are the old late pays, then I think you are in pretty good shape.   I don't think that opening any additional revolving cards will do much for you, since you have 4 open now.   I would recommend paying all your cards to zero except for one, letting a small balance report on just that one card, less than 9%.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
Dino76
Established Member

Re: Need Advise Please: What is a good inventory of Credit Cards and Loans to maximize your FICO Sc

thanks for the input.  Got another question.  Paid all off and leave one open (less than 9%).  Should I rotate them once in awhile (every 3 months or so) and with zero balance and less than 9%. 

Message 3 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Dino76 wrote:

thanks for the input.  Got another question.  Paid all off and leave one open (less than 9%).  Should I rotate them once in awhile (every 3 months or so) and with zero balance and less than 9%. 

FICO doesn't care which card shows a balance, so it doesn't matter for scoring.   However if you are concered about the other cards being inactive you can just buy a pack of gum every few months and pay it off before the statement cuts so that it doesn't report.

Message 4 of 9
Dino76
Established Member

thanks again.  Greatly appreicate your advise.

I would thought that a small balance (under 50 bucks) would'nt hurt at all for a CC, once every six months reported.  Then pay it off before the next cycle.

Message 5 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Dino76 wrote:

thanks again.  Greatly appreicate your advise.

I would thought that a small balance (under 50 bucks) would'nt hurt at all for a CC, once every six months reported.  Then pay it off before the next cycle.

FICO scores both your revolving utilization ( each card and total ) as well as the number of cards with balances.   So ideally you would want to let only one card ( 1/4 ) report a balance.   But as long as you don't have to immediately maximize your FICO score you can do it however works best for you.

Message 6 of 9
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

I don't know if having a gas card will make a huge impact on your FICO since for them it is simply another revolving line. However it may help with your auto insurance score, or so I'm told. I read something to that effect on CreditKarma.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@LTomBerry wrote:
 I don't know if having a gas card will make a huge impact on your FICO since for them it is simply another revolving line. However it may help with your auto insurance score, or so I'm told. I read something to that effect on CreditKarma.

Heh....really? I know its not your advice LTomBerry it's from CK, but why would an auto insurance company care if you had a gas card?

I suspect the advice is more because CK hustles credit card placements.  Gas cards are well known to be low limit high interest cards, not the best choice.

Message 8 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Dino76 wrote:

I have the following:

Loans:

Have a great day.

Only apply for credit if you need it!  It looks like you already have retail cards so gaining additional ones will not help. In fact, you'll take INQand new account dings at first before good history helps. ALso depneding on what your AAoA looks like it could hurt you there.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.