Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Amex CLI...Risky?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Amex CLI...Risky?

I have Blue with 1000 CL opened in Sept 09...I was denied for CLI at around 60 day mark and want to hit luv button now at 6 month mark...this was my first rebuilding card and I now have a total of 6 new cards since...I know they soft me every month, so they know what is going on...should I risk it?  Blue with $4.65 balance (coffee at Starbucks),
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Need Amex CLI...Risky?

If you can afford it, dont ask for CLI with Amex now. I read posts they are closing the cards and doing CLD just for asking CLI.
Message 2 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

aimingfor700 wrote:
I have Blue with 1000 CL opened in Sept 09...I was denied for CLI at around 60 day mark and want to hit luv button now at 6 month mark...this was my first rebuilding card and I now have a total of 6 new cards since...I know they soft me every month, so they know what is going on...should I risk it?  Blue with $4.65 balance (coffee at Starbucks),

I'd consider the difference between "want" and "need." Smiley Wink

I sure wouldn't do it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 10
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

I sure wouldnt right now. Dont risk losing your account. Alot of good people have lost theirs and didnt do anything wrong.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'd consider the difference between "want" and "need." Smiley Wink

I sure wouldn't do it.

True indeed, but...

Around Thanksgiving I purchased a computer that was on special at Best Buy with my Discover...The computer crashed 1 week after Xmas (was a present for my daughter)..Best Buy wouldn't help me at all and had a unreasonable return policy for the Xmas season...anyhow big dispute ensued btw me, Best Buy, Discover...3 months later Discover sided with merchant and I am now out a working computer and money (Hewlet Packard is in process of trying to fix)...I see that Discover is about to launch it's new protection policy, but I would have never had this issue if I used my Amex, which I didn't because of the low limit...I am about to make another major purchase that I can pay cash for, but want the purchase protection....This is why I "need" CLI

Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, I do understand that reasoning. To me, that's one of the best reasons to have a co-branded AmEx (from USAA, Citi, BofA, etc.) --you get the protections without the weirdness.

Since you actually have a legit reason to ask for a CLI, as opposed to just shaking the money tree, that might help you when you call. In normal times, that's a perfect reason to request a CLI from anyone. It's just impossible to predict what they might do. And one of the big problems is that the people who approve new cards and CLI's are not the same people who issues CLD's and close cards, and neither group appears to talk to one another, so there's just no telling.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps a co-branded product may be a better option for me...I didn't realize you get all the benefits of Amex...I actually never gave much thought about what you may actually get...I was not planning on new credit, but it may be worth it and let everythin age together.
Message 7 of 10
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

Message 8 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

One thing you can do is call and ask and explain exactly what happned when you used discover. They might let this purchase go through.

Other option is put part of the payment on Amex and other part on Discover or some other card. With in 30 days pay off the amount on your Amex Card and then ask BestBuy to charge the second part of the purchase on to amex and give you credit on the second card.

That way you would have all the amount on Amex charged and you would get extended warranty on your purchase. In your case, if you ask CSR they might be able to help you. On the other hand, you could purchase extended warranty from BestBuy and consider that as part of the purchase price. Use your best judgement and decide what is best for you. 

Amex CLD / Cancellations does not bother me. All these cards easy come and easy go.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked for a CLI a month ago for my Blue Cash.

For mer limit was $3200, I asked for an inrecrease to $5k.

No prob (YET!).

I think it also not only depends on you ZIP, also on how much you ask for.

They probably would aim at me if I would have asked for $10k.

Again, there is the difference between need and want.

I got the CLI and booked a trip for $4k 1 hour later, so they might have seen what I needed the CLI for.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.