Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need CC Suggestions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need CC Suggestions

After years of working to get my credit back in shape, I am nearing the point that I would like to buy a home. Although my credit is alright, I can get it in better shape.

My scores are: TU: 632 EQ: 646 EX: 746

I have one collection that shows paid from 5/06. This is a medical collection that occurred while I was recovering from the effects of hurricane Katrina after she left 5 feet of water in my home. I didn’t receive mail for over 7 months, but the hospital’s billing department apparently was in working order. Anyhoo, I’ve talked to the hospital & the CRA and it is looking good for my getting the collection removed from my credit reports. It is just a matter of time now. I’ve no other bad marks on my credit reports.

My biggest issue right now is that I just don’t have any credit at all. My one live line of credit just closed up when I paid my vehicle off with Ford Credit. I have no credit cards and I owe no one any money whatsoever. I am ready to rock-and-roll.

Buuuutttt….

I can’t get anyone to give me a **bleep** credit card! I’ve applied for two recently (Best Buy 2/10/08 & Barclays on 7/24/07) and was declined for both. I need some suggestions as to what I can do to get approved for a card. I don’t want to keep applying if I am getting rejected…won’t that do more harm than good?

Thx, Chris

Message Edited by heliosten on 04-29-2008 08:40 PM
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need CC Suggestions

Try the Hooters card or HSBC.  Also, Crown Jewelers will give you a line of credit without a credit report being pulled.  All three of those have helped me.  I would be well into the 700's had it not been for some family issues that arose and an auto accident that forced me to get my third auto loan in a year and a half.    I was forced to use existing credit and start new lines. 

I started out with those cards though and they've been good to me and helped me re-establish my credit.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

hsbc, and capital one just recently approved my mom with scores of like 588 and collections, judgements and liens on her credit report so I would for sure try those and also maybe your credit union or bank
Message 3 of 13
shawnette
Regular Contributor

HouseHunter wrote:
Try the Hooters card or HSBC.  Also, Crown Jewelers will give you a line of credit without a credit report being pulled. 
I heard Hooters likes to see at least 2 TLs, or they decline.  Crown Jewelers and Capital One are sure bets.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in far worse shape than you and I would advise; Cap 1, HSBC, Orchard, BofA, Chase you can certainly get them with your scores and no baddies.

Apply with Chase, if declined call the recon number and explain...they really want to find a way to say "Yes".

Surf the pre-approvals page and see if anything jumps up (BofA, HSBC, Cap 1) all have them (and so do many more).

Try for a gas card: Philips/Conoco, Shell, Citgo, Exxon/Mobile

Try for Store Cards: JCP, Macy's, Target

And the old standby, in case all else fails, (I can't even believe I am saying this) but First Premier will get your foot in the door. I started with one last August and by March 08 have more than 15k in credit cards and an auto loan. And my starting scores were below 500. Now I am over 600 and will keep climbing as time does its work.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll give Cap1 a shot in the morning. I forgot to mention in my original post that I applied for Chevron CC earlier this month and was turned down for that as well. Don't really understand the method by which they approve or deny.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

By the way, where is the pre-approvals page?

Message Edited by heliosten on 04-29-2008 09:43 PM
Message 6 of 13
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

Do you think your collection will be taken off your report soon? I'm sure you'll have much better luck with lenders once it is removed.

Also, have you called the companies that turned you down and asked for them to reconsider? If you explain the post-Katrina situation, someone may be sympathetic with the story and approve you.

Best of luck! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Holy cow, unless that EX score is a typo, I would be all over the Bank of America pre-approval site. I don't know if they'd approve you with just one loan, but it's a free soft. Your situation is unusual enough that you might wind up being on the phone with them. If so, ask to speak to a credit analyst: they have more power than the first-line phone answerers. If they offer the secured or partially secured ("99/500") card, I'd grab those as well.

It's possible that since your file is so thin that they might want to pull a second report, so waiting for the collection to be removed might be smart.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 13
cobra19
Valued Contributor

My first stop - or phone call - would be to my local credit union.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied to Cap1 and was approved, so thanks to those who suggested that card. Now, should I attempt to get other cards? Stop at one?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.