Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Expert Advice on Cancelling CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Expert Advice on Cancelling CC

Hey all,

So I've bounced back fairly well since my rebuilding journey a while ago. I've had this Continintal Finance card since 2009 or so. When I signed up, the agreement was every six months they are supposed to give you a $75(LOL) CLI for good payment history. I thought well, after five years they'll change and be good. Heck, at least Credit One has been giving me them in $250.00 incriments. It isn't much, but I'm keeping them for the history and I have an okay CL with Credit One.

Bottom Line: I just called Continetal Finance and asked why I haven't been getting my CLIs. He advised the company stopped doing this in september. I was literally in shock, thinking, you guys just went from crappy to...I'm not even sure. So since I have an average CL of about $5,000.00 with other CCs, is keeping this one open making me look bad when I go to apply for say, CSP or Amex? Do they even care?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Need Expert Advice on Cancelling CC

In my honest opinion Continental Finance and Credit One are hurting you more then helping. I would close them both they will be a positive TL for ten years.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply! So, is there some evidence out there (even anecdotel) that having these tradelines opens along with say, my Chase Freedom and two 5K NFCU cards, tells lenders I don't know what the heck I'm doing? Or do they just see those tradelines, vomit, and then issue a decline?

I kind of wonder if Banks have it programmed in their system to scan for these tradelines when doing Instant Approvals or Auto CLIs. Any thoughts? Just want to make sure I do the right thing before closing accounts 5 years old.

Message 3 of 9
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Some say it may matter, but I really think as long as it's paid and closed, it really doesn't.

Time to say goodbye!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply! So, is there some evidence out there (even anecdotel) that having these tradelines opens along with say, my Chase Freedom and two 5K NFCU cards, tells lenders I don't know what the heck I'm doing? Or do they just see those tradelines, vomit, and then issue a decline?

I kind of wonder if Banks have it programmed in their system to scan for these tradelines when doing Instant Approvals or Auto CLIs. Any thoughts? Just want to make sure I do the right thing before closing accounts 5 years old.

I think computers take your current CL into consideration with CL they would give you. I also think underwriters seeing those TLs would think twice before approving or matching your current CLs. The closed cards continue to report up to 10 years as a possitive TL. After 10 years it really wont matter. The only draw back if you needed them for utilization. Then I would wait until you get utilization down.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley HappyI called in to Continental Finance and said "I'm afraid I may have to cancel my account." She asked why and I said "Well, when I signed up for this card 5 years ago, the agreement was at least a $75(LOL) CLI every 6 months." she replies "Well, I can certainly help you close that account today because I have no idea when they'll bring back increasing credit limits."  They're kinda retarded from a business point. I mean, they charge 18.00 in account fees, plus interest. What's the big deal in giving a little love with a CLI after years of good payment history? They could make a killing.

So, as I'm moving on my journey..I have 1 of 2 sub-prime cards CLOSED!

Message 6 of 9
mt2va
Established Contributor

Good for you and I would put Credit One on the chopping block soon as well.  You have plenty of much better cards.  They have served their purpose. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Time to say goodbye......

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I say congrats on your decision! Wise one. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.