Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need HELP Quick!!!

tag
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Re: Need HELP Quick!!!

Personally, I don't see the starting CR as a negative, there does not seem to be

a rhyme or reason with Discover, many have a great profile and get a low limit while

others on the border of approval get large limits??

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 11 of 22
adavis425
Established Contributor

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:
I applied for Discover it card and was approved but with terrible initial CL. On my recent app spree I was approved on all apps except AMEX BCE. All starting CL's were $5k plus. I'm sure it has everything to do with the number of recent inquiries/trade lines but Discover only gave me an initial CL of $1,000. My question is do I accept. I've already had the hard pull but comparatively this a low CL.

Is it better to not show a new trade line for fear of spooking the other new creditors I've received credit cards from?
Is it better to eat the hard pull and not start with such a low CL?

The whole reason I even app'd with Discover is due to reading about their good initial CL's. I realize I've pushed the envelope here and it's time to quit but had already app'd the same night I was approved for my new Citi TYP. I called Discover today and they said the offer is still good but I would need to accept soon or the offer would be pulled and I'd run the risk of a hard pull again and I'd need to re-apply. Following is the revolver tradelines I already have reporting:

Cap1 $2.5k
Cap1 $2.5k
Cap1 $1.5k
Kohls $1k
PayPal SC $5k
Walmart $2k
Barclays $2.5k
Chase Freedom $5k
Chase Sapphire $5k
FNBO AMEX $6k
Citi TYP $6.5k
AMEX PRG-NPSL(charge)

Anyway, what would you do?

Please! I would take the $1000 Discover CL over Cap One any/everyday. In fact, if I were you and my util could handle it, I would ditch all Cap One. YMMV, but I've read here that some creditors take a dim view of Crap One in the app process. Plus, you have a $1000 cl with Kohl's, Discover at $1000 is good, at least a foot in the door. It'll grow and as others have said, there's no rhyme or reason with Discover. You took the hit, take the card. IMO.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 12 of 22
JonStur
Established Contributor

Yes accept the card. The only negative you have to worry about is all the recent inqs... Discover is still a prime card and you can request a CLI online after 4 months without a HP...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 13 of 22
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

There is no evidence of creditors looking down on Capital One!!! Look at the limits in my profile and tell me if anyone looked down on my original $3,000 Capital One.

No need to close active tradelines with no AF - or if the card helps with rewards strategies. I think your advice is pretty narrow-minded adavis.

To OP, feel free to accept the Discover. A low CL always has the ability to grow with responsible use, and you already took the HP AND... Discover's rewards program may come in handy even with that low CL.

Congrats on your new cards, and make sure you hit the Garden.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 14 of 22
adavis425
Established Contributor

Nope, not narrow-minded. I did not advise OP to close anything, I simply said that "If I were you, I would close..." and I would. You wouldn't, that's fine. That's what makes horse races. I never offered any evidence that creditors looked down on Crap One, I just said what "I've read here". Creditors may or may not which is why I also said "YMMV".  Smiley Wink

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 15 of 22
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:
So the general consensus here is I should accept their offer with an initial CL of $1k? I'd like to here from a few more of you credit gurus before I decide which wat to go here.

I am not a guru, but I have enough experience with Discover to say take it. It may grow slowly, but it will grow. Also, because it's a Discover card, and therefore prime no matter what its CL, I don't believe any bank will judge you badly for having it.

Barclays may take AA against you as others have said, but that's because of the apps and inquiries. Having that Discover card won't be the cause.

Message 16 of 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

This may be a dumb question, but why wouldn't you keep it? Definitely keep the card. Discover is a great company. It's one of my favorite cards. As long as you use the card wisely and make sure you are paying on time, they will increase your limit. They randomly increased my limit by $1500 and I wasn't expecting it. So just be thankful for an approval and not a rejection.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 17 of 22
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Take it...EVEN IF banks (and thats a big IF) looked at your 1k Discover limit (which I honestly don't think they do) when making a negative decision...they can easily look at the Chase who gave you 5k or Citi who gave you even higher. So FROM MY OPINION, you should be golden. Just as others have said, let it grow. Garden. Soon enough, that discover card will grow into an even MUCH better card than some you may have now.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 18 of 22
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:
I applied for Discover it card and was approved but with terrible initial CL. On my recent app spree I was approved on all apps except AMEX BCE. All starting CL's were $5k plus. I'm sure it has everything to do with the number of recent inquiries/trade lines but Discover only gave me an initial CL of $1,000. My question is do I accept. I've already had the hard pull but comparatively this a low CL.

Is it better to not show a new trade line for fear of spooking the other new creditors I've received credit cards from?
Is it better to eat the hard pull and not start with such a low CL?

The whole reason I even app'd with Discover is due to reading about their good initial CL's. I realize I've pushed the envelope here and it's time to quit but had already app'd the same night I was approved for my new Citi TYP. I called Discover today and they said the offer is still good but I would need to accept soon or the offer would be pulled and I'd run the risk of a hard pull again and I'd need to re-apply. Following is the revolver tradelines I already have reporting:

Cap1 $2.5k
Cap1 $2.5k
Cap1 $1.5k
Kohls $1k
PayPal SC $5k
Walmart $2k
Barclays $2.5k
Chase Freedom $5k
Chase Sapphire $5k
FNBO AMEX $6k
Citi TYP $6.5k
AMEX PRG-NPSL(charge)

Anyway, what would you do?

Just take it...you have a good line-up, so Discover's low CL isn't going to hurt your profile in any significant way, IMHO.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 19 of 22
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Keep it.  It's going to report because you apped for it and was approved.  If you choose not to activate it or close it, it will show as a closed account that was closed right after opening it, which probably doesn't look good.  Don't worry about Barclays - I opened 10 new accounts in the year that I have had my Barclays account and they just gave me an auto CLI (but I used this card a lot and this was the card that I would let my less than 10 % utilization report to).  Also, don't worry about the low limit.  Call them in 6 months and see if they will do a SP CLI.  They may tell you that they need to do a HP so that will be up to you on that - given your other limits, they might be pretty generous with you.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.