Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need My First Credit Card

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Need My First Credit Card

@Athena123 wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm going to try Capital One today, so hopefully that works!

Would the 3 trade lines include my auto loan?

Or should I shoot for 3 credit cards?

Again thank you so much for your help!!!

Yes the 3 can include an auto....good luck

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Athena123 wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm going to try Capital One today, so hopefully that works!

Would the 3 trade lines include my auto loan?

Or should I shoot for 3 credit cards?

Again thank you so much for your help!!!

I would go for 2 credit cards right now.  Problem is you will likely not what the cards you can get right now in the long term.  Is there a local CU you can walk into and talk about it?

Also, can you tell me whats on your credit file right now?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 12 of 17
JMills
Frequent Contributor

Cap 1 will give you a card. My friend's husband had no credit because he just came to the states. Cap 1 gave him credit when no one would. They gave him a card for newcomers in the US, he no credit, so I'm sure you will get one. From that one Cap 1 card, it has establish a great credit score, he has now 5 cards because of it! And it hasn't been a year!. Don't do a secured card if you can get a unsecured card. Defiantly do not do Credit One, because they have so many fees!
Starting Score: EX: 705 EQ: 711 TU: 750 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2020

Last App: 05/06/202020 / In the Garden Until: 12/31/2024

Desired Scores EQ 800 EX 800 TU 800

PSCEU $20,000 Navy Signature $6,600 Navy Rewards $2,500
Message 13 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@JMills wrote:
Cap 1 will give you a card. My friend's husband had no credit because he just came to the states. Cap 1 gave him credit when no one would. They gave him a card for newcomers in the US, he no credit, so I'm sure you will get one. From that one Cap 1 card, it has establish a great credit score, he has now 5 cards because of it! And it hasn't been a year!. Don't do a secured card if you can get a unsecured card. Defiantly do not do Credit One, because they have so many fees!

Cap One for Newcomers is gone now.  Unclear what is replacing it.

Message 14 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

OP,

You can apply for Cap One Journey for Students as long as you are still student.  If you give more details on your credit file, I can recommend if other student cards are good shot for you.  Reality is once 6 months hit, you are going to go for Navy Federal for a big limit.  Although while in school, you should get the unique school ones like Citi Forward for Students.

Message 15 of 17
Athena123
Valued Member

There are two items showing on my credit report.

One is my auto loan. Here is the info showing:

Opened: June 2013

Balance: $20,798

Description: Auto Loan Fixed Rate

The other is a store card from when I was 18 that I had and literally never used so I closed it after six months. Here is the info:

Status as of: July 2005

Date Opened: November 2004

Date of Last Activity: November 2004

Balance: $0

Credit Limit: $200

Account Type: Revolving

Account Holder: Individual

And then I have one inquiry on Transunion from purchasing my vehicle and one inquiry on Equifax from Navy Federal Credit Union.

I am still a student--in my final year of graduate school.

Let me know if you need any more info! Thank you for all the helpful responses!!!!

Message 16 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I would try for two cards right now. Go for the cap one for students. Assuming approval, go for one more card. Reach card would be Amex charge card. Safer card would be Walmart if you would use it. In 6 months, go back to nfcu.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.