New Contributor

Need Some Help

[ Edited ]

Just need some simple yes or no here...

I've been wanting to app for a card that gives me at least some form of kickback for my spending. Currently, I'm running everything on my Citi Sears card which gives points but are only good at Sears. I've been eyeing up the Discover IT and keep getting pre-approval invites from them. I've been meaning to wait until my credit situation is perfect (utilization, HPs, etc.) Here are my current stats...

Citi Sears MasterCard (Using $590/$3000) (had this card over a year)

Barclay's (Using $200/$2000) (had this card since June)

I always pay in full every month for whatever is on my statement.

Student loans that are paid ahead and a car loan paid on time I opened in July.

CRs are clean. HP's are TU: 3, EX: 4 (3 are for a car loan), EQ: 1

Am I just too scared to pull the trigger?? I really only have the cards I have because I needed to build revolving credit and I didn't want to pay the Mac up front and be out the money at once. Now I'm looking for a card that offers me something though.

Income around 52k a year.

1. Am I good to app or keep waiting? Potentially until I get the utilization on my cards to next to 0%

2. If yes, should I go for Discover IT or Amex BCE? What else would you guys recommend instead (Freedom, etc)

Thanks to everyone!!

FICO - TU: 752 | EQ: 745 | EX: 734
FAKO - EX: 722 | TU: 723
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $7k | Amex BCE: $7k | Amex Corporate: NPSL | Discover it: $5.5k | Sears MasterCard: $3k | Barclays Visa Financing (Apple): $2k
Started Gardening: 03/05/2014 | In the Garden 'til: 03/05/2016 | Goal: 750 across the board, all inquires off my CRs
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need Some Help

i say pull the trigger on any. i got the BCE with over 60% util, but i got a low limit. u seem good.

*21 Years Old* Started my credit at age 19
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature- $8,000 II TFCU - $2,500 II Amex BCE - $2,400 II Wells Fargo Cash Back College Card - $1,900 II Paypal Extras Mastercard - $4,400 II American Eagle VISA - $2700 II Best Buy Mastercard - $3,000 II Kay Jewelers - $5,600

Valued Contributor

dbutz1109 wrote:

Just need some simple yes or no here...

I've been wanting to app for a card that gives me at least some form of kickback for my spending. Currently, I'm running everything on my Citi Sears card which gives points but are only good at Sears. I've been eyeing up the Discover IT and keep getting pre-approval invites from them. I've been meaning to wait until my credit situation is perfect (utilization, HPs, etc.) Here are my current stats...

Citi Sears MasterCard (Using $590/$3000) (had this card over a year)

Barclay's (Using $200/$2000) (had this card since June)

I always pay in full every month for whatever is on my statement.

Student loans that are paid ahead and a car loan paid on time I opened in July.

CRs are clean. HP's are TU: 3, EX: 4 (3 are for a car loan), EQ: 1

Am I just too scared to pull the trigger?? I really only have the cards I have because I needed to build revolving credit and I didn't want to pay the Mac up front and be out the money at once. Now I'm looking for a card that offers me something though.

Income around 52k a year.

1. Am I good to app or keep waiting? Potentially until I get the utilization on my cards to next to 0%

2. If yes, should I go for Discover IT or Amex BCE? What else would you guys recommend instead (Freedom, etc)

Thanks to everyone!!

You could apply for both of those if you want. And a Sallie Mae rewards Mastercard. I like App sprees in groups of 3.

Ideally you would get one of your existing cards to report a zero balance first.

New Contributor

The Barclay's card $200 is still from the Mac I put on it with 0% financing. I've been waiting to get that to $0, paying $100 a month, but I'm really starting to get the itch to app for better cards. Whats the best way to approach an app spree? Never done one.

Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $7k | Amex BCE: $7k | Amex Corporate: NPSL | Discover it: $5.5k | Sears MasterCard: $3k | Barclays Visa Financing (Apple): $2k
Started Gardening: 03/05/2014 | In the Garden 'til: 03/05/2016 | Goal: 750 across the board, all inquires off my CRs
Frequent Contributor

BEST WAY---- APPLY APPLY APPLY:smileyvery-happy:

*21 Years Old* Started my credit at age 19
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature- $8,000 II TFCU - $2,500 II Amex BCE - $2,400 II Wells Fargo Cash Back College Card - $1,900 II Paypal Extras Mastercard - $4,400 II American Eagle VISA - $2700 II Best Buy Mastercard - $3,000 II Kay Jewelers - $5,600

New Contributor

Shamefully giving myself a comment bump in hopes that I get some more feedback. Returning to my hole now...

Valued Contributor

I think you're safe to apply for both the cards you listed. All we need is for CreditAddict to come here and say "do it! do it now!!!!" and you'll really know you're good to go lol.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Epic Contributor

notfancy wrote:

I think you're safe to apply for both the cards you listed. All we need is for CreditAddict to come here and say "do it! do it now!!!!" and you'll really know you're good to go lol.

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!

Fico Scores: EQ- 662 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (1/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Epic Contributor

Oh and I recommend Amex BCE or BCP if you can make it worth it, Discover it, and Freedom all at once :smileyhappy:

Fico Scores: EQ- 662 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (1/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:

notfancy wrote:

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!

I literally LOLd

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.