Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a 3rd card to close

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Need a 3rd card to close

With the approval of the Amex Green and PRG, I now I have 13 cards. I only want 10, ideally for now. I'm closing the Green soon as it comes, I've pondered it but no point in keeping a card I have no intention on using just cuz they already HPd me. I'm closing Macy's as well, don't need it or the credit limit now that I have two $10K+ majors. Now I need a third card to close. Amazon @ 5K is staying and will probably be my only store card I have forever. The ones with the lowest limits make the most sense but I actually use them and I'm sure I'll get a CLI on both soon enough. If I could combine my AAdvantage limit to my Forward that'd be great but Citi requires I keep at least $2K on the card, meaning it'd be at $3500. Maybe I'll wait until my Venture and QS are eligible to be combined?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Need a 3rd card to close

@icyhot wrote:
@With the approval of the Amex Green and PRG, I now I have 13 cards. I only want 10, ideally for now. I'm closing the Green soon as it comes, I've pondered it but no point in keeping a card I have no intention on using just cuz they already HPd me. I'm closing Macy's as well, don't need it or the credit limit now that I have two $10K+ majors. Now I need a third card to close. Amazon @ 5K is staying and will probably be my only store card I have forever. The ones with the lowest limits make the most sense but I actually use them and I'm sure I'll get a CLI on both soon enough. If I could combine my AAdvantage limit to my Forward that'd be great but Citi requires I keep at least $2K on the card, meaning it'd be at $3500. Maybe I'll wait until my Venture and QS are eligible to be combined?

I'll be combining Venture into QS myself. See no point in paying that AF. Waiting for them to be eligible and Venture nearing that 1 year mark.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
@With the approval of the Amex Green and PRG, I now I have 13 cards. I only want 10, ideally for now. I'm closing the Green soon as it comes, I've pondered it but no point in keeping a card I have no intention on using just cuz they already HPd me. I'm closing Macy's as well, don't need it or the credit limit now that I have two $10K+ majors. Now I need a third card to close. Amazon @ 5K is staying and will probably be my only store card I have forever. The ones with the lowest limits make the most sense but I actually use them and I'm sure I'll get a CLI on both soon enough. If I could combine my AAdvantage limit to my Forward that'd be great but Citi requires I keep at least $2K on the card, meaning it'd be at $3500. Maybe I'll wait until my Venture and QS are eligible to be combined?

I find the number of cards I have open doesn't really mean much as far as simplicity or complexity. I can see all balances and due dates on my four Chase cards in one place. It would be more difficult for me to monitor three accounts with three different logins than four streamlined cards. Likewise, I can use activity alerts and payment reminders. You may find this perspective helpful.

Depending on how often you fly, PRG's airfare credit may make AA and/or Delta cards unnecessary. Also, depending on the value you get from URs and MRs, you may find your cash back cards aren't worth using.

There are considerations other than rewards, too, of course.

Message 3 of 4
icyhot
Valued Contributor

My cash back cards have nice limits and have no AFs. I always think if my life needs drastically changed and I decided to downgrade, the AF travel cards would be the ones I got rid of. That's why I let my BofA, QS and Spark chill. Ivd considered the Delta as well but I fly it a considerable number of times and the benefit is extremely useful.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.