cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a card quick - public records

tag
geemister

Re: Need a card quick - public records

Thank you all for the great advice - I am going to try a local credit union tomorrow and will also try GE/Walmart - maybe after a phone call to Cap1.  Will definitely keep everyone posted as to how it goes.  Obviously, worst case scenario is a secured card, but it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world.  When I was young and stupid, I had to start over with the help of Orchard Bank and I gotta say, they really helped me turn my credit world around.  I know I can do it again, was just hoping for a short cut this time (silly, but hopeful).

Message 61 of 64
geemister

@enharu wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
To have the IRS liens removed, google Fresh Start Program. You can download the forms and send them in to the IRS. If they are paid or you are in a payment plan they will send you a withdrawal which you can send to the CRAs.

Normally it takes 4-6 weeks from start to finish.
Good luck.

+1.

In my first post, I wasn't trying to label you as a criminal; was simply trying to explain what you can, and cannot include as your own income.  I found your advise straight forward and helpful - hope you didn't think I was lumping you into that category - I felt I needed to make the point that I absolutely would NEVER consider doing something like that - it's just not worth it and it's a pretty stupid thing to do.

Anyhow, a lot of people provided some good advice.  Agreed!

You can also consider cards backed by GE and Cap1. They're generally more lenient. You can also try checking out some local CUs. Usually they're more personable and are more willing to work with you. Last but not least, I know you don't really want secured cards, but you can check out Bank of America secured cards. They graduate you in 6-12 months as long as the account remains in good standing, so it's not that bad of a deal either.  Good to know about BoA graduating you - I am definitely going to check into all that you recommend.

Best of luck.  Thank you!

EDIT: Another thing to add.......if you are willing to move around your liquid assets into 1 bank, some banks may try to work with you on issuing you an unsecured card as well. Generally, you need about >10k in deposits, and the bank will sometimes at least try to issue you a low CL unsecured card in the worst case scenario.  Wish I had that much cash - I only have about a quarter of that and am really nervous about being completely cutoff financially, so need to have it pretty readily available. I'm hoping that the local CU's will see it your way - people in this neck of the woods are usually pretty nice and helpful *fingers crossed*.

If you have retirement / financial planning accounts, talk to your advisor as well. A lot of the bigger companies might be able to help issue you an unsecured card as well. I don't have a personal advisor but do have an advisor service through my 401k plans and will definitely check this out.

Message 62 of 64
geemister

@09Lexie wrote:
To have the IRS liens removed, google Fresh Start Program. You can download the forms and send them in to the IRS. If they are paid or you are in a payment plan they will send you a withdrawal which you can send to the CRAs.

Normally it takes 4-6 weeks from start to finish.
Good luck.

Thanks 09Lexie!  I am going there right now...of course, I'll have to wait for the government shutdown to be over :/

Message 63 of 64
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

True but get your paperwork in so that you'll be in front of the line. Smiley Tongue
Message 64 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.