New Contributor

Need a credit card!!!

Hi Guys,
Someone please help me here. I just checked my Fico score and it is 684 as of today. I am looking for a good credit card that I can be approved for. I have burned myself with Pentagon and Justice Credit Unions in the past, but have no debt at this time. Anyone know who I would be approved for with this score? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Established Contributor

Re: Need a credit card!!!

FICO score is only a small window into someones credit situation.  More information would be helpful.

Any active tradelines.  Baddies you have and how old they are etc.

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,000 (Thanks Cap1 Executive Office <3) | Chase Freedom - $7,100 | Chase Amazon -$1,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 (I know what an odd limit) | Fidelity Amex -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000 | Walmart $15,000 | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $7,500 | Amex EveryDay - $10,000  | Citi DoubleCash - $15,000

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

zyzzus wrote:

FICO score is only a small window into someones credit situation.  More information would be helpful.

Any active tradelines.  Baddies you have and how old they are etc.

INQ's in last 6 months etc etc 

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13

Too add to the others, some idea as to what you want out of a card (what your expenses are so rewards can be considered) is helpful as well.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 683, EQ 8 690, TU 710, EX 715 (01/01/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor

I have 11 years of credit history. I have 4 accounts which were in collection more than 3-4 years ago, but are paid collections (they were very small balances anyway.) I have a credit card with Capital One with a $1500 credit limit and has about $700 balance on it. I have a Best Buy card with a $400 credit limit and has a $0 balance. I also have an Express credit card with a $500 credit limit and a $0 balance on it. I am an authorized user on my wife's credit cards, but as I understand it, these do not have an impact on my credit rating. I had a Pentagon Credit Union and JFCU cards in the past about 5 years ago but those went into collections, and I paid them. I also had an AMEX Delta Skymiles card in the past which also went into collections, but I paid it off. This was also 5 years ago. My Transunion Fico is 684 as of today. I really don't care about the perks on a card, just want a card with a decent credit limit and one I can build my credit back with. Any suggestions?
New Contributor

I also only have 1 inquiry on my credit report.
New Contributor

Oh sorry. I also had 1 tax lein from 2007 which was paid off in 2008 as a public record.
Valued Contributor

I'm sure the others will chime in but I suggest paying down that cap1 balance down as much as possible or under 10% before you app for anything. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Valued Contributor

Pay that cap one down to under 10% and you'll likely be clawing at 700.  When you do that I'd try DCU or Barclay Ring for a lower interest card since you don't care about rewards.  DCU will likely get you a higher limit and the Ring a lower APR with that score. 

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

Aside from lowering utilization, I'd comb the rebuilding section and see if anyone has had success with the three accounts you've mentioned. I've read plenty of stories where Amex deleted old accounts for people and also personally benefited from it in 2007. Unsure about PenFed or JFCU but you may have some luck digging through old posts.

If the paid tax lien is federal there's a form to have it removed. Form 12277, Application for the Withdrawal of Filed Form 668(Y), Notice of Federal Tax Lien

Being an AU on DW's cards is probably helping you, depending upon her utilization.

Hope this helps. Fixing the tax thing will only take a month or two. Amex, if they're amenable, won't take long either. Also, see if there's any chance Amex will take you back. A new Amex would be backdated to the initial member since year. I really would start with the tax lien, if federal. No idea which Amex number would get best results aside from starting with executive relations.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.