Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a game plan......Should I or No?

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Need a game plan......Should I or No?

Just thinking about some things with the credit cards I have.

1) I have the Amazon Store Card and I like it because the limit is growing nicely and I shop at Amazon all the time. But, with the store card, I am not earning any type of rewards so should I eventually app for the Chase Amazon card? Then just use the store card here and there to keep it open and help with utilization? Would Chase give me another toy limit if I was approved for that card?

2) I have the Chase BP gas card that is still stuck at a 400.00 limit. I was told that it cannot be upgraded to the bp visa....I would have to app for that seperately. At what point should I do that? After a year of having the gas card?

3) I have the Citi Shell gas card as well and it is stuck at a 600.00 limit. This one cannot be upgraded either. When should I apply for the Citi Shell Mastercard?

4) How sensitive is Amex to new accounts? I just got my 2 cards with them back in January and if I was to app for the Chase Amazon card, would that cause me trouble with Amex?

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Re: Need a game plan......Should I or No?

I don't know about Citi since they seem to not like me..lol, but I do have both the GE Amazon store Card and the Chase Amazon Rewards Visa and I like the store card better. Granted it does not have rewards, but I like the 6 and 12 month interest free deals.

I have two cards with Chase. My first one was the Amazon Rewards which I got March 2012 with a starting limit of 1300~ at the time Chase matched the limit on my store card. .In June 2012, I apped for the Freedom and received a $3000 limit and two months after that they upped it to $6000

So yes I do believe a payment history with Chase yields better limits.

I don't know about Amex. I mean I did have one other card report after Amex but I also didn't get the 3X CLI (well I was told it was approved at first but the new limit never showed up so when I called back they did not see the approval..long story. Will try again next month).

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 2 of 6
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@calihlove75 wrote:

I don't know about Citi since they seem to not like me..lol, but I do have both the GE Amazon store Card and the Chase Amazon Rewards Visa and I like the store card better. Granted it does not have rewards, but I like the 6 and 12 month interest free deals.

I have two cards with Chase. My first one was the Amazon Rewards which I got March 2012 with a starting limit of 1300~ at the time Chase matched the limit on my store card. .In June 2012, I apped for the Freedom and received a $3000 limit and two months after that they upped it to $6000

I don't know about Amex. I mean I did have one other card report after Amex but I also didn't get the 3X CLI (well I was told it was approved at first but the new limit never showed up so when I called back they did not see the approval..long story. Will try again next month).

I like the rewards with the Chase Amazon but I was not sure if you could have both. I didn't even think about the advantage of the 0% interest deals with the store card....I have not used them yet but it will be nice when the time comes. I just got an auto cli on my Chase Freedom so I feel like I am getting somewhere with them so I won't dare app for another one of their cards right now.....lol

Anyone care yto chime in about how new inquiry/account sensitive Amex is??

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 3 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

@calihlove75 wrote:

I like the rewards with the Chase Amazon but I was not sure if you could have both. I didn't even think about the advantage of the 0% interest deals with the store card....I have not used them yet but it will be nice when the time comes. I just got an auto cli on my Chase Freedom so I feel like I am getting somewhere with them so I won't dare app for another one of their cards right now.....lol

you can have both the amazon card and chase amazon card. its offered by 2 different companies.

if you apply with chase, they'll start you with another toy limit. from what i read, only accounts with initial CL 500-1000  gets auto CLI, but i have yet to see them get increased to really high credit lines either.

so for chase, less is more. wait till you have a very solid CR, and then apply. better off for them to start you with a 5-10k card, than a useless credit limit that you cant buy a lot of stuff on.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 6
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

@calihlove75 wrote:

you can have both the amazon card and chase amazon card. its offered by 2 different companies.

if you apply with chase, they'll start you with another toy limit. from what i read, only accounts with initial CL 500-1000  gets auto CLI, but i have yet to see them get increased to really high credit lines either.

so for chase, less is more. wait till you have a very solid CR, and then apply. better off for them to start you with a 5-10k card, than a useless credit limit that you cant buy a lot of stuff on.

I will definitely be waiting before I get another Chase card. I really want the freedom to grow. My higher limit cards will be posting this month on my cr's so Chase will see that next time they check me out. Cat Tongue

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

after a certain point, it's going to be HP for CL, unless Chase does an auto CLI. Their auto CLI are iffy, and it's not as dependable as other banks.

I initiated a CL at the cost of a HP not too long ago though, but I would say it was well worth it. Went from 2k to 8.5k.

Use the card often and use it well. Chase's definitely the best bank to work with for VISA/MC cards in my opinion.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.