cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a high limit credit card...what's the best to apply for?

tag
LCB80
Established Member

Need a high limit credit card...what's the best to apply for?

I'd like to apply for a credit card that would give a high limit if possible ($10k), not sure if it's even possible. My fico scores according to myfico.com are 725, 713 and 732. I have a car loan (new but had several in the past), mortgage and several credit cards so everything is very clean but I do have a BK from Jan 2010 on my report. Highest credit card limit I have right now is Discover Card at $5,000.

What would be the best card to try for? I recently tried for a DCU loan and it did not go thorugh because they showed a fico score of 690 (using different model than myfico I guess). 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need a high limit credit card...what's the best to apply for?

What CCs do you currently have?  What are their CLs and how long have you had them?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 25
LCB80
Established Member

I have

Discover card - Opened 09/2013 $5000 limit $4000 balance

Capital One - Opened 12/2009 $1250 limit $0 balance

Capital One - Opened 02/2011 $1000 limit $0 balance (used to be some other company but turned into Capital One)

Barclaycard - Opened 04/2012 $250 limit $0 balance (asked them for a CLI a couple months back and was denied)

Also have a furniture store card, I don't know if those get taken into account but it was opened 2012 and has a $0 balance and $4500 limit.

That's it aside from a car loan and mortgage which are both new within the last year but have previous mortgages/car loans in good standing. Credit history is 14 years.

Only bad thing aside from the BK 4+ years ago is a few inquiries lately. Bought a car last month, applied for the DCU loan and tried for another loan in the past month, denied for both. Also in September last year tried for a personal line of credit and was denied.

Message 3 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

what was reason for denial from Barclay? Have you tried the backdoor number and speak to underwriting direclty?

Total Rewards, Vitacost, Sportsamansguide for shopping cart comenity would be my pick.

any credit union available to you?

have you tried the CLI on captal ones, they seems random but sp so my as well hit it on both cards.

Message 4 of 25
LCB80
Established Member

Not sure on the reson from Barclays, surprised me it didn't get approved as I received a offer from them for 0% APT until 10/215 so I requested a CLI since the $250 is useless and was denied. I didn't try to call them though, where can I find the backdoor number?

As for Cap One, I actually already got the credit lines bumped in the last few months by $500 on each card. I got a pop up when logging into my account offering it but that's all they gave.

Seems the credit union aren't very BK friendly from my experience.

Message 5 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Credit Unions usually are more relaxed with lending then big banks

Barclays: 866-408-4064 (Credit Analyst) id call now and ask about CLI!

Message 6 of 25
LCB80
Established Member

Bah! I called and they closed 5 minutes ago! Have to try on Tuesday I guess.

As for the credit union, I tried last September when I was looking for a loan with a local CU and they denied me becuase of the BK.

Message 7 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@LCB80 wrote:

Bah! I called and they closed 5 minutes ago! Have to try on Tuesday I guess.

As for the credit union, I tried last September when I was looking for a loan with a local CU and they denied me becuase of the BK.

well to be fair, 1 local credut union doesn't exactly represent credit unions not being bk friendly.... check which ones you qualify for and then post on here in a new thread "Which of these are bk friendly" and I bet we can help you find one Smiley Happy

and don't you just hate missing it by 5 minutes! lol

Message 8 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@LCB80 wrote:

I have

Discover card - Opened 09/2013 $5000 limit $4000 balance

Capital One - Opened 12/2009 $1250 limit $0 balance

Capital One - Opened 02/2011 $1000 limit $0 balance (used to be some other company but turned into Capital One)

Barclaycard - Opened 04/2012 $250 limit $0 balance (asked them for a CLI a couple months back and was denied)

Also have a furniture store card, I don't know if those get taken into account but it was opened 2012 and has a $0 balance and $4500 limit.

That's it aside from a car loan and mortgage which are both new within the last year but have previous mortgages/car loans in good standing. Credit history is 14 years.

Only bad thing aside from the BK 4+ years ago is a few inquiries lately. Bought a car last month, applied for the DCU loan and tried for another loan in the past month, denied for both. Also in September last year tried for a personal line of credit and was denied.

The one card at 80% UTIL will honestly hurt your odds of getting CLIs and new CCs with higher CLs.  But everything else seems in order.   Do you have a plan to get the UTIL down?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@LCB80 wrote:

I'd like to apply for a credit card that would give a high limit if possible ($10k),

As always, it's not the card that gives the credit limit.  It's all about your credit and income.  As stated earlier, some CU's have more lax approval requirements and may generally give out higher limits but that doesn't guaranteee that you'll get a $10K limit from such a credit union.

@LCB80 wrote:

I do have a BK from Jan 2010 on my report. Highest credit card limit I have right now is Discover Card at $5,000.

Derogs don't help.  While creditors don't match credit limits if you highest limit is $5K it may be a bit much to expect $10K.

@LCB80 wrote:

A credit card is a credit card.  If it reports as a revolving credit account then it counts.  Your credit history length doesn't matter, it's AAoA that is taken into consideration.

@LCB80 wrote:

Not sure on the reson from Barclays

Definitely look at the reasons for denial.  While you can't always take them at face value they can be useful.

@SunriseEarth wrote:

The one card at 80% UTIL will honestly hurt your odds of getting CLIs and new CCs with higher CLs. 

^ This.  Individual utilization matters as well as overall.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.