cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a little help guys

tag
Yonks2remember

Need a little help guys

I have 7 credit cards. I feel like that's to many for me. I wondering if I should get rid of any of them, and was wondering if you guys could help. I have the following:

American Express Zync: opened 2011
American Express usaa rewards card: opened 2 days ago 4k limit.

BoA cash rewards:3k opened 2012
Navy Federal visa signature: 11k opened this year

Best buy reward zone: $300 (oldest card)

Capital one: $750 (2nd oldest)

Macy's: don't know limit. Member since 2011

Should I close my oldest cards with low limits?

Also what is a sub prime card?

Btw my credit score is 740 and I got that score from when I applied for the usaa ae card.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: Need a little help guys

What is your use patterns? Do you regularly use them ie, every other month, every month, etc.? If you have not used a card in a year or more, you may desire to close it. If so be sure it is at zero balance. It will positively report for upto ten years on your report. As for your store card(s) sometimes they are worth keeping around for the sales and other discounts. Just be sure to use them once every six months or less so they do not arbitrarily get closed. I'd definitely keep Navy and Amex, nice limits.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 14
RSCo
Established Contributor

You should do what I just did with my 2 CapOne cards that had 500.00 and 300.00 CL for the past 13yrs..  I tried a number of times to get them to raise the limits and they would never budge until I contacted their executive offices last week threatening to pull my brokerage account from them and my checking account..

I was going to just close them too, but they are 2 of my 3 oldest cards (13yrs) but then the very low CL would forever stay on my credit perhaps suggesting to others who review my credit report that I was not responsible with the accounts..

So now in the event I do close one or both of them, they will having a more realistic high CL associated to them..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 3 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Which cards have AF's??
Is the best buy card the MC?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 14
colindidit
Established Contributor

Cap one call the ex office and ask for an increase to 2500 , close the zync because its getting worthless as the days pass. Keep the Macy's find out the CL call this number 1 (877) 379-8173 and ask for double the limit or 2k whatever's greater.
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 5 of 14
colindidit
Established Contributor

If it is the MC close it if you can't get a credit increase or the AF Waived
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 6 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Macys is not a GE account AFAIK that # would not work.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 14
Yonks2remember

Tbh the only card I really use is the Zync card but now that the perks are gone idk if I should close it? Also I think the navy fed is the only card with af.
Message 8 of 14
Yonks2remember

I'm groin to try and hit those numbers up for a credit increase. If that doesn't work I might just close all the small cards.
Message 9 of 14
colindidit
Established Contributor

Didnt Macy's used to be GE? Or am I thinking of JCP? Oops my bad :X
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.