cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a strategy for Chase CLI/PC to Sapphire & maaaybe Marriott card?

tag
nitrov
Established Contributor

Need a strategy for Chase CLI/PC to Sapphire & maaaybe Marriott card?

hello all!

I currently have a Freedom card with a $3500 CL which is about 2 years old and an IHG WMC with a $9000 CL which is about 1 year old.

I really want to convert my Freedom card to a Sapphire card; what's the best way to do that? I know I require a $5000 CL, so I'm trying to get some magic to happy with minimal HPs, if any. I've received a bunch of those awesome 80k point Marriott card offers and was contemplating apping for one, is it worth it? Any way to strategize getting both with only 1 HP? I know Chase isn't known for doing that, but not sure if anyone knows any tricks.

Thank you!

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need a strategy for Chase CLI/PC to Sapphire & maaaybe Marriott card?

@nitrov wrote:

hello all!

I currently have a Freedom card with a $3500 CL which is about 2 years old and an IHG WMC with a $9000 CL which is about 1 year old.

I really want to convert my Freedom card to a Sapphire card; what's the best way to do that? I know I require a $5000 CL, so I'm trying to get some magic to happy with minimal HPs, if any. I've received a bunch of those awesome 80k point Marriott card offers and was contemplating apping for one, is it worth it? Any way to strategize getting both with only 1 HP? I know Chase isn't known for doing that, but not sure if anyone knows any tricks.

Thank you!

Why not just apply for a Sapphire Preferred?

Message 2 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

hello all!

Thank you!

Seriously, there are better ways to give yourself a headache than trying for months to get an auto CLI with Chase (which are rare). Even if you do get the auto CLI, how do you know you'll reach $5k? What if they only bump you up to $4k? You waste another year or more trying to get a CLI? It's just silly. If you really want and will benefit from the CSP, apply for it, as long as you don't have more than 5 new accounts in 2 years.

Auto CLIs with Chase are so rare that trying to figure out a "strategy" is a waste of time/energy. Just go for the card you want, provided you meet the new account rule.

Message 3 of 6
nitrov
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

hello all!

Thank you!

Seriously, there are better ways to give yourself a headache than trying for months to get an auto CLI with Chase (which are rare). Even if you do get the auto CLI, how do you know you'll reach $5k? What if they only bump you up to $4k? You waste another year or more trying to get a CLI? It's just silly. If you really want and will benefit from the CSP, apply for it, as long as you don't have more than 5 new accounts in 2 years.

Auto CLIs with Chase are so rare that trying to figure out a "strategy" is a waste of time/energy. Just go for the card you want, provided you meet the new account rule.

I do have more than 5 accounts less than 2 years old, which is why I've been apprehensive on just apping for a CSP and taking the HP. I don't think I want to keep the Freedom, IHG, Sapphire, AND get the Marriott, because 4 cards with one bank is a little much for me. I guess I will just wait it out until my new accounts age out unless a miracle happens and I get a SP CLI. Bummer.

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 4 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@nitrov wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

hello all!

Thank you!

I do have more than 5 accounts less than 2 years old, which is why I've been apprehensive on just apping for a CSP and taking the HP. I don't think I want to keep the Freedom, IHG, Sapphire, AND get the Marriott, because 4 cards with one bank is a little much for me. I guess I will just wait it out until my new accounts age out unless a miracle happens and I get a SP CLI. Bummer.

I don't wanna bum you out but yeah, auto CLIs with Chase are basically as likely as being struck by lightning. People have had $500 Freedom cards for years and never gotten an increase.

Message 5 of 6
noobody
Established Contributor

you can move some CL from IHG to freedom and PC to CSP.
but I don't think it worth it, as one of the highlight of CSP is 40K signing bonus, also CSP should pair with freedom to get most points possible, and I am not sure you can PC a cobrand to freedom later.
I would just wait until you meet the 5/24 rule to apply.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.