cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice: Just received Citi AAdvantage Platinum Plus Card and got a mail offer for the Gold Card

tag
murdoc01

Need advice: Just received Citi AAdvantage Platinum Plus Card and got a mail offer for the Gold Card

Hello everyone. I just got my first "real" card since being on the nearly three year road to recovery!!! It feels great. I've gotten a lot of advice by way of reading the boards. Now I think that I can finally participate.

It's a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Plus card. The weird thing is that it has a 4K limit and also "no preset spending limit". How exactly does that work?

Yesterday, I got a mail offer for the AAdvantage Gold Card. I'm wondering if I should submit an application for that card was well and then close out some of the subprime cards (FirstPremier - 550 limit, CreditOne - 525 limit, OrchardBank - 400 limit) that have effectively served their purpose at this point.

I've had those cards open since 12/2011, 5/2012, and 12/2011 respectively.

Anyway, this is a three part question:

1. Should I apply for the Citi Gold card as well?
  2. What does the revolving limit / no preset spending limit combo really mean
  3. Should I start planning to close out the other subprime cards?

Thanks everyone!!

AMEX Business Platinum NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | NFCU Flagship Rewards 20K | NFCU CashRewards 18K | District Government Employees FCU 7.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards VISA Signature® Card 5K | Citibank AAdvantage Gold 4.5 K | CitiAAdvantage Platinum Select 4K | Chase Slate 3.2K | Bank of America (Secured) 3K | Walmart Store Credit 1.4K | Best Buy $950

Fico 8: 684 TU | 673 EQ | 674 EX
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Need advice: Just received Citi AAdvantage Platinum Plus Card and got a mail offer for the Gold

I think Citi issues "Signature" cards below the typical $5k limit that most issuers require for a "Signature" line

You can go over your limit, but you'll have to pif whatever you go over by...
I could be wrong..
Im going by what Ive read here lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 4
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Need advice: Just received Citi AAdvantage Platinum Plus Card and got a mail offer for the Gold

Oh and... Close the AF accts unless the rewards are equal to or greater than the fees.
AND
Why app for another Citi card?
Try Amex, Chase, or Discover. :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 4
john398
Senior Contributor

close credit 1 anmd first premier for sure

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.