cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice - Restarting life from ground zero - Recommendation for Secured Credit Card

tag
waters
Regular Contributor

Re: Need advice - Restarting life from ground zero - Recommendation for Secured Credit Card

Pay your child support with your card. That way u make one "chikd support" payment to satisfy two trade lines. Child support shows up as an installment loan I assume?
6/2014; EX:621 EQ:627 TU:640
Cards: Capital One WORLD MC (QS): $7500 | Chase Freedom $3500
Sock: Merrick Bank $600 | Barclaycard $1250 | Sportsman's guide visa $2500

Message 11 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Need advice - Restarting life from ground zero - Recommendation for Secured Credit Card

@waters wrote:
Pay your child support with your card. That way u make one "chikd support" payment to satisfy two trade lines. Child support shows up as an installment loan I assume?

In florida (FSDU) it is treated as a cash advance. Check for cash advance fees and/or limits before paying CS with a CC. Child support shows as a revolving account on my CR's

welcome OP, and good luck

Message 12 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am starting from ground zero as I have no credit history. Very severe defaults in the past. FTB tax lien for 10K, missed child support payments $10K. Was homeless for two years when the defaults took place. Found a job and paid off all debts. Nothing outstanding, no credit cards.   I have one debit card and managed to save $10K. Credit Karma shows a $516 loan per month which is my child support and I am auto paying the child support now. Chances of any further defaulting on child support or payments is little to none as I am getting situated well.

MyFICO does not show me any scores. Credit Karma shows TU score of 661.I am looking to start my FIRST credit account and am shopping for a  secured credit card which I think is the right thing unless the community/experts  think otherwise. 

My question is - With so many vendors for credit cards, how do I decide on which card to apply for ?  

Welcome to the boards. The best piece of advice that I could give is to research every move your going to make before you do it. I know when I started out I was apping for cards that I had no shot at and taking unneccesary hard pulls. These HPs made subsequent apps tougher. If I had asked beforehand people would have told me my approval chances were not that great. Granted those were minor setbacks, but the point is they were completely unneccesarry. Also, I would recommend building up slowly and methodically. I didn't go the secured card route, but what I would suggest is looking for secured cards where the cards will later on convert into unsecured cards. This way you can lay the foundation for your AAoAs from the start. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.