Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for Amex

tag
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Need advice for Amex

To make the story short I burned amex and file for BK more than 10 years ago. I tried to apply with them and got instant respond cant be approved because of "previous account". I really want amex back in my profile. The question I have should I just call Amex and pay them what I owed and go from there? I see some people with similar postion and get approved for it. I jsut need some advice on what to do? 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need advice for Amex

@kampfer09 wrote:

To make the story short I burned amex and file for BK more than 10 years ago. I tried to apply with them and got instant respond cant be approved because of "previous account". I really want amex back in my profile. The question I have should I just call Amex and pay them what I owed and go from there? I see some people with similar postion and get approved for it. I jsut need some advice on what to do? 

You will not be able to get another one unless you pay off the BK amount, I have no use for them so I never have paid off a small Bk amount from 1983. I dont believe in paying off dicharged debt in any case either, they have no right to ask that it be.... Its up to you but I would think long and hard they are not necessary to your credit success.

Message 2 of 16
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@kampfer09 wrote:

You will not be able to get another one unless you pay off the BK amount, I have no use for them so I never have paid off a small Bk amount from 1983. I dont believe in paying off dicharged debt in any case either, they have no right to ask that it be.... Its up to you but I would think long and hard they are not necessary to your credit success.

They can't require you to pay it, of course, after the SOL expires (or after you have it discharged in BK). But they have the right to ask you to pay it before giving you another chance to burn them. Smiley Happy 

That being said, some people have been able to get back in their graces after a burn. Sometimes it takes a while. Your mileage may vary. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 3 of 16
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Amex Collections Dept: 800-921-6490 (people on blacklist can call this number)

If you ever want to get back in with Amex this is the number to call. They are open 24/7 - 7 days a week per the rep. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@kampfer09 wrote:

I really want amex back in my profile. The question I have should I just call Amex and pay them what I owed and go from there? I see some people with similar postion and get approved for it. I jsut need some advice on what to do? 

Generally speaking it's a no go unless you settle your debt with them first.  If you want AmEx then you need to pay them.

Message 5 of 16
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Do you think Amex still worth it? I mean there so many co branded card for Amex that pretty much do the same thing as their card. What do you guys think?
Message 6 of 16
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Update...

I called Amex in regards to my account. They told me since the account was discharge under BK I don't have to pay it and age on the account is too old already. She also said even if PIF it doesn't guarantee that I would get an Amex card. The amount I owed is around $10k which I have money to pay for it now. Do you think still viable to pay it and hopefully you get it? Please advise.
Message 7 of 16
NegotiatorRogerSmith
New Contributor

@kampfer09 wrote:
Update...

I called Amex in regards to my account. They told me since the account was discharge under BK I don't have to pay it and age on the account is too old already. She also said even if PIF it doesn't guarantee that I would get an Amex card. The amount I owed is around $10k which I have money to pay for it now. Do you think still viable to pay it and hopefully you get it? Please advise.

We're on the same boat, except my issue is with Cap One... on an HSBC CO they never acquired... go figure *shrug*

No BK in my case, but it IS their money on the line, so can you really blame them? YMMV is always the case... depending on the person you speak with can make exery difference in the world.

As others have stated, AMEX isn't a be-all, end-all, BUT it is VERY handy, especially for their back-dating practices which is HUGE down the line for your AAoA; otherwise, their cards and customer service are meh...

Message 8 of 16
Luscher
Valued Contributor

10K??!?!?!!?! don't waste 10k on trying to get amex. i love amex, but i like 10k a lot more!
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 9 of 16
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Ya...I'll just keep my money. Plus, not all store accept Amex anyway. It would just be nice to add in my portfolio again and aging part as well.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.