Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for adding my 17 yr old as an authorized user

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Need advice for adding my 17 yr old as an authorized user

Opening a $500 shared secured loan would also help her credit. Having a good credit mix helps strengthen the file.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made my daughter an AU on two of my cards when she was 15. I also gave her the cards and discussed credit with her and how it works and how she was to use the cards. Well over a year now and she's done great, not a single surprise purchase and she has shown perfect responsibility. I wanted her to have one once she was driving and such for unexpected expenses just in case.

Never needed it like that yet, and I'm proud of her usage and or lack thereof. Plus it is only helping her credit score which I sure would have been grateful for when I was starting out. 

Message 12 of 14
wilmer007
Contributor

yes opening up a $550 SSL from Alliant Credit Union is a great way to help her build easy credit since it's a SP (though the lady on the phone told me there was NP). i was approved for it on tuesday and the next day i had already made a payment for $475 and the remaining $25 will stay for 5 years and i send $2.50 every 6 months through the automatic BoA payment i set. as long as you have $520 you'll be able to take $475 back right away after you make the big payment.

heres a guide on the SSL:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 13 of 14
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I made my daughter an AU on two of my cards when she was 15. I also gave her the cards and discussed credit with her and how it works and how she was to use the cards. Well over a year now and she's done great, not a single surprise purchase and she has shown perfect responsibility. I wanted her to have one once she was driving and such for unexpected expenses just in case.

Never needed it like that yet, and I'm proud of her usage and or lack thereof. Plus it is only helping her credit score which I sure would have been grateful for when I was starting out. 

I like that idea very much.  With the informaton on the proper use of credit cards it gives an aproach to learn to use cards  kind of under control. It needs a bit of trust from the parents and gives the children a way to proof responsability.  Kudos !

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.