Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for applying for southwest card

tag
mandab5
Valued Member

Need advice for applying for southwest card

Hi, I am desperately looking for advice.  I received an email from southwest for the 50,000 bonus.  I have been doing my research and I am not sure what to do.  I do currenlty have a BK reporting that was charged off in Dec of 2011.  After my divorce, my ex-husband took the house back, and at the advice of two lawyers, I filed bankruptcy to protect myself in case he let it go into foreclosure (which he did eventually).  He was unable to refinance the mortgage at the time of our divorce, so that was my best option at the time.  Since then, I have maintained 2 secured cards (opened right after BK to start rebuilding my credit) with no late payments, and was approved for a capital one quicksilver with a limit of $3000 in Decemeber.  I was also approved for a car loan in Oct 2014.  I know I will get denied right off the bat due to my BK, but I was going to call the recon line and explain the situation.  I do also have a few collections that were back from when we had the house (utilities he never paid) which have all been paid.  When pulling my report two weeks ago, I discovered one more collection that had never been taken care of (had no idea), and got it paid.  

My main questions are, should I even apply?  If I do, should I mark yes or no for past bankruptcy (which is automatic denial if checked yes), or should I wait, get my denial, and then call and explain my situation.  If there is no chance, I would rather wait and not get the hard inquiry on my report. I also have student loans which have no late payemnts as well.  

The main reasonn I want this card is because I travel for work and fly southwest usually.  This would allow me to get the best benefits from them I believe.  According to My Fico, my 3 scores are Equifax-643, Experian-638, and Transunion 644.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need advice for applying for southwest card

no you should not apply.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to agree with creditaddict. I don't think you'll get approved even after recon in my opinion.

Message 3 of 11
mandab5
Valued Member

Thanks.  Just needed a few opinions.  I'll wait it out a while.  Just read a few other threads about how some were about to get approval through recon when explaining the BK situation.  

Message 4 of 11
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

Chase can be so finicky sometimes.  I agree you should wait to apply.

I have three Chase cards (Freedom, Slate and Amazon) and up until two months I was always told i was at max exposure when asking for limit increases (combined $32,500 on those three)

On a whim I applied for the 50k points offer with $100 stmt credit and got instantly approved for $28,500.

Moral of the story is you never know with Chase.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 5 of 11
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@hedgeclipper2 wrote:

I have three Chase cards (Freedom, Slate and Amazon) and up until two months I was always told i was at max exposure when asking for limit increases (combined $32,500 on those three)

On a whim I applied for the 50k points offer with $100 stmt credit and got instantly approved for $28,500.

Holy mother of...

Message 6 of 11
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@hedgeclipper2 wrote:

Holy mother of...

Yeah, but US Bank still refuses to give me a piddly little Cash+, their loss I guess.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 7 of 11
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@hedgeclipper2 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@hedgeclipper2 wrote:

Holy mother of...

Yeah, but US Bank still refuses to give me a piddly little Cash+, their loss I guess.

You might not be missing much after its multiple nerfing over the past few months !

Message 8 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

becareful what you ask for, sure may get the southwest card if you apply today, and may have to recon to get it. They may reward you with a card, but you may not like it long term. Highest interest rate offered and a $500 or $1000 CL is what they would likely give you. Chase cards rarely grow with you short-term. And very slowly long term. Even if  you do request CLI's they are almost always HP, and because your CL are so low, even gave you what they consider a huge CLI, of say 100%, your card would still just have a 2k CL. The longer you wait the better your chances and the better your CL will be. The 50k points signing bonus isn't all that rare, it will come back again. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mandab5 wrote:

Hi, I am desperately looking for advice.  I received an email from southwest for the 50,000 bonus.  I have been doing my research and I am not sure what to do.  I do currenlty have a BK reporting that was charged off in Dec of 2011.  After my divorce, my ex-husband took the house back, and at the advice of two lawyers, I filed bankruptcy to protect myself in case he let it go into foreclosure (which he did eventually).  He was unable to refinance the mortgage at the time of our divorce, so that was my best option at the time.  Since then, I have maintained 2 secured cards (opened right after BK to start rebuilding my credit) with no late payments, and was approved for a capital one quicksilver with a limit of $3000 in Decemeber.  I was also approved for a car loan in Oct 2014.  I know I will get denied right off the bat due to my BK, but I was going to call the recon line and explain the situation.  I do also have a few collections that were back from when we had the house (utilities he never paid) which have all been paid.  When pulling my report two weeks ago, I discovered one more collection that had never been taken care of (had no idea), and got it paid.  

My main questions are, should I even apply?  If I do, should I mark yes or no for past bankruptcy (which is automatic denial if checked yes), or should I wait, get my denial, and then call and explain my situation.  If there is no chance, I would rather wait and not get the hard inquiry on my report. I also have student loans which have no late payemnts as well.  

The main reasonn I want this card is because I travel for work and fly southwest usually.  This would allow me to get the best benefits from them I believe.  According to My Fico, my 3 scores are Equifax-643, Experian-638, and Transunion 644.  

I think you should wait. If you don't check the box for BK, you may appear dishonest. Maybe you should hang out in the garden while your accounts age. Keep up the good work!!!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.