Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for mini spree

tag
seat3a
Contributor

Need advice for mini spree

Hi Everyone,

I want to go on a yearly mini spree because I have a major bill I have to pay and want to run a balance for a few months. Also, I want to add to my CC collection and dump those 2 paltry, fake "Discover" cards from HSBC with AF's. Capital One doesn't seem to be interested in these cards and they are going nowhere.

Last month I receive the 3X CLI on Amex Delta!

Recently I was able to convert my Orchard Bank into a Cap One card going from a $420 CL to 5K (SP)! YESSSS!

I love my CSP, but only have a 6.5K CL. I would like to have a higher CL, as I will be going to Europe at some point and could really rack up the points, but I think I have read on the boards that Chase is stingy with their CLI's. The only increase I have had with this card is from the original 5K to 6.5K which was an auto CLI. I also think some people get another Chase card and somehow they work together with points but I am not sure. I am a confessed points hoarder....lol.

So what would you suggest for the Chase problem and also a totally new card with a bank that doesn't mind if you carry a balance for a while? I really don't need the groceries, gas, etc. type of card as it wouldn't pay off for me.

Thanks for any advice!

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Scores: EX 764 EQ 750 TU 809 MyFico 739 Last App 11/13
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need advice for mini spree

Ive never had an auto CLI from Chase, so you're fortunate you got one out of them. Im not really sure what you're looking for in a new card (points, miles, $$$, baskets, etc...)

As for carrying a balance I would say BofA, Citi and Discover dont seem to mind.
Message 2 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I suggest you apply for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday via the cardmatch.com referral. Since you already have an American Express card, if you are denied it will only cost you a SP. Of course they will HP if accepted.

Via cardmatch.com you get a 12.99% APR (the best for this card) plus a 0% APR on Purchases for 15 months, and a 0% APR on Balance Transfers for 15 months.

If the initial limit is too low, call and explain that you need a higher balance. You cannot CLI at 2 months because you already requested a CLI on your other Amex card, so immediate recon if necessary would be your best option at that point.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 19
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Chase problem = that's going to require a CLI via a HP. Not the end of the world if you truly want some spending power on your CSP. 

As for balance carrying - Discover and Citi don't seem to mind. I've never had any issues with carrying balances with them. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 4 of 19
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

You could apply for a discover card and Citi Simplicity card. Discover card has 15 month 0% apr and citi card has 18 month 0% apr. Rewards wise Discover card is better but limited acceptance outside US. if you willing to burn a HP then you could ask for a cli on your CSP. Chase might raise you to 10000.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 5 of 19
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

How long did you want to carry the balance? CITI Diamond preferred is a good card for that bc of 0% for 18 months. The Chase card that you mentioned working well with Sapphire is the Freedom which also offers a 0% introductory period during which time it would be cool to carry a balance. Remember that carrying a balance on any rewards card that is charging interest will likely negate any type of rewards or points that you earn.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 6 of 19
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@seat3a wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I want to go on a yearly mini spree because I have a major bill I have to pay and want to run a balance for a few months. Also, I want to add to my CC collection and dump those 2 paltry, fake "Discover" cards from HSBC with AF's. Capital One doesn't seem to be interested in these cards and they are going nowhere.

Last month I receive the 3X CLI on Amex Delta!

Recently I was able to convert my Orchard Bank into a Cap One card going from a $420 CL to 5K (SP)! YESSSS!

I love my CSP, but only have a 6.5K CL. I would like to have a higher CL, as I will be going to Europe at some point and could really rack up the points, but I think I have read on the boards that Chase is stingy with their CLI's. The only increase I have had with this card is from the original 5K to 6.5K which was an auto CLI. I also think some people get another Chase card and somehow they work together with points but I am not sure. I am a confessed points hoarder....lol.

So what would you suggest for the Chase problem and also a totally new card with a bank that doesn't mind if you carry a balance for a while? I really don't need the groceries, gas, etc. type of card as it wouldn't pay off for me.

Thanks for any advice!

Without knowing precisely what you're looking for in rewards, I suggest looking at Chase (did I just recommend Chase?Smiley Surprised).  They have hotel and airline cards (some with NFTF) that have some good signup bonuses.

Message 7 of 19
seat3a
Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Ive never had an auto CLI from Chase, so you're fortunate you got one out of them. Im not really sure what you're looking for in a new card (points, miles, $$$, baskets, etc...)

As for carrying a balance I would say BofA, Citi and Discover dont seem to mind.

I guess I was lucky! I really don't have a hotel card or maybe a cash back which I wouldn't mind. As I mentioned, I am an admitted points hoarded!

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Message 8 of 19
seat3a
Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I suggest you apply for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday via the cardmatch.com referral. Since you already have an American Express card, if you are denied it will only cost you a SP. Of course they will HP if accepted.

Via cardmatch.com you get a 12.99% APR (the best for this card) plus a 0% APR on Purchases for 15 months, and a 0% APR on Balance Transfers for 15 months.

If the initial limit is too low, call and explain that you need a higher balance. You cannot CLI at 2 months because you already requested a CLI on your other Amex card, so immediate recon if necessary would be your best option at that point.

Yes, this seems to be a popular card. I am just afraid AMEX might freak as they just raised my other Amex card to 16K. Thanks for the reply!

Message 9 of 19
seat3a
Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

Chase problem = that's going to require a CLI via a HP. Not the end of the world if you truly want some spending power on your CSP. 

As for balance carrying - Discover and Citi don't seem to mind. I've never had any issues with carrying balances with them. 

I don't mind the HP because I have 3 and 2 are over 1 year old and the other one goes off totally in November. I really like CSP and use it a lot but I am always careful because I don't ever want to put a lot on it even if I PIF. Maybe faulty thinking on my part. I'm really careful as it took me so long to get where I am.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.